1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bi-polar help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 29, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not me, I swear!

My baby brother was recently diagnosed as bi-polar, although dad and I'd suspected it for a few years. The meds he takes for his epilepsy treats the manic part of his bi-polar, but he stopped taking it last month, had a seizure and could lose his driver's license (he almost killed himself about 4 years ago when he had a seize while driving).

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on books the fam and I could read or just general suggestions on dealing with a bi-polar family member, I'd really appreciate it. I worked with bi-polar children when I taught special ed, but I'm clueless about adults.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My uncle is bi-polar, but the only advice I can offer up is to make sure your brother stays on his meds. My uncle had spells where he stopped taking his meds, and that's when his episodes would start.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't let him take this drug:

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Seriously, there's a book called, "An Unquiet Mind" :

Written by a woman - Kay Redfield Jamison - it's an excellent memoir of her manic-depression. She has a unique perspective, also being a psychiatrist. Some of the drugs she takes are antiquated now, but the expertise and emotion, and insight she puts into the pretty quick read makes it so worthwhile.

http://www.amazon.com/Unquiet-Mind-Memoir-Moods-Madness/dp/0679763309

5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

SC,

I wish ya all the best. I'm more familiar with Alzheimer's.

It's not fun. It's sad. It's tough on everybody around.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

SC, about 28 years ago an aquaintance of mine (can't say we were every really friends, but we ran in the same circles and had a lot of mutual friends) was bi-polar and it seemed like every week he was doing some weak attempt at offing himself. He ended up spending time in a hospital but I don't honestly know what meds he ever was on. It was about a two-year cycle. One day I ran into him and he said that after years in the down cycle he just woke up one day and it was like the clouds had gone away and he felt great about life.

Years later I ran into him again and he seemed to be doing fine. He was a non-stop smoker, though. But other than that, I don't know what to tell you other than good luck with it. It sounds like you have a long road ahead.

Draft saved Draft deleted