1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beyonce lip-synched the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When I watch or read something, I want to know that it's authentic.

2. turski7

turski7 Member

Because it's not authentic.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was this the National Anthem Dance Remix? :D

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting ontological discussion shaping up here.

Same song, same singer. Why is Beyonce singing live more "authentic" than Beyonce singing on a recorded track? Is it because we expect her to endure the risk of failure? Or because we think the performance misses some spark of "inspiration?" Is there some element of reciprocity with the audience missing?

We've all accepted mechanical reproduction as a means for storing and playing music since the late 19th century.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

But she was asked to perform music, which is something different.

Physical production > mechanical reproduction, when it comes to performances.

6. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Someone once compared it to playing a round of golf using a cart and playing while walking the entire course. I'm not sure if that's a great comparison, but ...

The question is not whether she actually sang it. She did. But people tend to compare live performances against other live performances, and when you don't think you're hearing a recorded (lip-synched) rendition, you're expecting "live." And when it blows you away, there's a sort of built-in feeling that you just witnessed something rare -- since other live performances just don't compre. By now, of course, we should all feel silly if for big events we still expect anything truly live.

But here's the thing: Live, you are dealing with echoes in the venue, perhaps a bad sound monitor, getting the timing right with the band or accompaniment, nerves, adrenaline, other environmental factors -- all of which are non-factors in the studio.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If it doesn't matter, then throw on an ipod of her digitally remastered best, along with a CGI of her singing on a screen somewhere.

She could be at home having hot chocolate instead of out in the January cold.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Then just play the damn recording and give her credit for it. I don't need to see someone fake singing while being dishonestly led to believe it's real singing.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But she did perform. She just performed asynchronously.

I guess my question is why do we think live performance is inherently more valuable.

I think CB's suggestion about rarity is part of it.

10. turski7

turski7 Member

Yes, she could fail and it does take away the inspiration. For me, it's about how she attempts to present herself to the public. I would rather have that little girl who needed help from Mo Cheeks than a pre-recorded track.
    I think it reveals a lot about the artist's persona. She got scared and faked her way through it.
    Also, no one goes to a show for mechanical reproductions.
    You mention pop singers needing pre-recording, but what about the rockers who run around stage with shit blowing up? They still sing their songs with all the head banging, etc.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Moving your lips and pretend singing is stupid at any level.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This story is casting a dark shadow over the real focus of this presidential inauguration -- Michelle Obama's bangs.

Draft saved Draft deleted