1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beware, Trentonian offering jobs that don't exist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Interim Bedwetter, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boots

boots New Member

This type of shit has to end. The only way it does is when people stop working for jerks like the Trentonian. Unfortunately, that won't happen.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

However with the recent "slicing and dicing" some employees that survived feel like the ones that got sliced & diced were treated better than those that stayed behind. I'm indifferent on the issue.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I know not of what you speak. I just know the Newhouses have always been good to us.

4. EStreetJoe

Until last year's buyouts/staff cuts the Newhouses had been good to us. After the buyouts to save costs, they're changing our medical and prescription plans causing employee out of pocket expenses to skyrocket (in some cases prescription costs will go up 2000%)

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Here is a thought I have had...

Why doesn't some owner/publisher/managing editor bring these practices to light?

I know the obvious answer is that they would be doing it to bash a rival and perhaps for their own gain.

But if a major employer in a city did this sort of stuff, it would be news.

If anyone is in a position of authority, I would urge you to speak out. This is an embarrassment to the newspaper business. I recall a couple of auto dealers thanking a newspaper for reporting an investigative story about a dealer who eventually has his dealership revoked by Chrysler for doing things like selling new cars with rebuilt engines and other shady practices. The point these dealers made - and they had complained - was that these practices were so outrageous that people in the same industry should not sit quietly.

If auto dealers can do it, why not newspaper publishers?

6. EStreetJoe

Maybe the reason its not done is the wronged employee doesn't want to admit to another publisher/editor what happened. Or the wronged employee didn't think to go to the other paper in town to complain.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

I'm not talking about one employee or one instance, I'm talking about a pattern of conduct. The fact that this JRC in run in such a way should be an embarrassment to other publishers to be in the business.

8. lapdog

lapdog Member

This is 8 years old, and things have gotten much, much worse for the most part, but still basically applies.

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/121798/coverstory.shtml

This one's good too.

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=3246

9. EStreetJoe

There was an entire book written about the Trentonian
    http://www.ebookmall.com/ebook/138695-ebook.htm

10. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Many publishers look on me as their role model.

I do what they wish they could. ;)

[​IMG]

11. Lee son of Bob

Lee son of Bob New Member

My daddy asked me to pass on this written statement:

"Current, former and future employees of the Journal Register Company: The print newspaper industry continues to adjust and adapt to the rapidly progressing world. With the advancement of electronic media, the demand for newspapers to alter their way of thinking and doing business is higher than ever before. Journal Register Company is the industry leader in finding innovative solutions to business challenges.

"All employees of Journal Register Company embrace the challenges of the ever-changing print newspaper industry. Together, with respect and kindness for each other, we will make any sacrifices necessary to ensure the the longevity of the industry as a whole and specifically the Journal Register Company publications.

"Clearly a microscopic group of past Journal Register Company employees have banded together to spread vicious lies about the JRC family. Let me assure you, JRC is a family. Every single family member within JRC is treated equally and receives the full support that only a family can offer. As the father figure of this extended family, allow me to thank the many family members who have stood up for the Journal Register Company against these lies and unjustified attacks."

12. boots

boots New Member

Enough with the spin doctoring. How about answering these "lies" so that it can finally be put to rest once and for all. A little truth is what we're seeking here from JRC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.