1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beware, Trentonian offering jobs that don't exist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Interim Bedwetter, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boots

boots New Member

Truth be told, this publication has been in dire straights financially for some time. If it folded today, and don't laugh, it could happen, it wouldn'tbe missed except for the people who work there.
    It's a bad place and definitely does not get the coveted boots seal of approval.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You mean its over 100,000 daily readers (but circulation in high 30s) wouldn't miss it?

I think all the fans of their page 6 girl and Monday color "poster" (full tabloid page) girl would miss it.

[​IMG]

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Dire is in the eye of the beholder. In some companies, an 18 percent profit margin is the apocalypse and the offending property must be sold. At other companies, mere profitability is the goal. Many years ago a former high-ranking executive there told me he could not speculate on the paper's longterm prospects, but at that time the company needed the paper's profits, small as they might have been. Now this was before the stock went public. Even before JRC, profitability was precarious and below industry norms, but I would not speculate on the possibility of folding. Circulation has declined, but at no faster a rate than the competition's has. If you look at other JRC properties, the philosophy is that no matter how much circ shrinks and no matter how much staff gets cut, there are enough advertisers to ensure a small profit.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Shit like this makes me glad I worked for Scripps and Gannett.

Yeah, I said it.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Whoops, sorry. I just assumed it was the Trenton Trentonian since there's a daily in Ontario with that very name.

6. boots

boots New Member

That's the greedy part of this biz Frank. But this ship has been taking on a lot of water over the years. And if you looked at the advertising base, it has shrinked considerably. Something has to give sooner or later.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. And I thought my first job was a no-win situation. Unreal that a paper could be run like this.

8. kbb

kbb Member

Is the Times (of Trenton) a legitimate enterprise? Anybody have any stories to tell?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Times is owned by Newhouse. There has been some slicing and dicing there recently, but
    Newhouse >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^Nth JRC.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Times of Trenton is a Newhouse/Advance publication. Prior to the mass buyouts last year due to merging most operations with the Star Ledger, no horror stories to tell.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

No joke. I read this thread and got an urging for roasted nuts. So I got some.

12. lapdog

lapdog Member

Oh, they care plenty whenever a chance to fuck over rank-and-file employees comes along. Then the gleam appears in their eyes, their mouths start to water, they start to feel the pulsating sensation in their groins...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.