1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beusse out at USA Today Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Oct 16, 2013.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My only question is how did Hopkins not post this first?

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2013/10/first-take-how-beusse-lost-favor-at.html

From the comments

Indeed.

2. gannettblog

gannettblog New Member

How did I not post what first?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing Jay means that you didn't post it on this board first, but you don't post many things on here first from your blog.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Interesting that they called it a "messy re-organization"

Obviously, a lot of people lost their jobs over the last three years, but is there anyone out there who doesn't think USA Today Sports is night and day better than it was three years ago?

At least when USA Today cleaned house, it hired replacements, most of whom were huge improvements.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

I know USAT's NFL editor just left for NJ.com last week. Is that related to this or is it a coincidence? BTW, I'm not hinting anything -- I really have no idea.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's interesting because with all of the hires USA Today has made in the last year or so, they seem to have had the biggest troubles hiring and keeping NFL people. Maybe that's a coincidence, I don't know...

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If that is Kevin Manahan, he came from Newark. Did he get that SE job at NJ.com? Could be as simple as that.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It is Kevin and he did get the NJ.com job.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good for him. I'm pretty sure his wife was still in Newark.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gannett biz plan.
    1. Make big splashy hire
    2. Lose big splashy hire within 24 months
    3. See staff hired by big splashy hire leave.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1A. Give big splashy hire huge salary.
    1B. See big, splashy hire come up with some useless plan that has already been done before, only with brand-new buzzwords and corporatespeak.
    1C. See big, splashy hire browbeat existing employees into implementing useless plan with brand-new buzzwords and corporatespeak.
    1D. Layoff existing employees in order to give big splashy hire a big, undeserved bonus

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Member

What makes today's USA Today "night and day better" than it was? I think it's being edited for editors in other departments rather than for readers.

Draft saved Draft deleted