1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Betting the horses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Apr 3, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Jai-alai has the unusual distinction of rotation and math coming into play.

No matter how skilled players 6-7-8 are . . . the odds of 6-7-8 coming in are incredibly low. In horses the numbers are meaningless with regard to the outcome. Not the case in jai-alai.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

In the late summer, try to find a way to go to DelMar and/or to Saratoga. Sadly, both tracks have very short seasons and they overlap. But if you enjoy being at the racetrack, put those two places on your "bucket list".

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

don't bet on the horse that takes a dump during the post-parade

too relaxed

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

However the inverse is supposed to be true with regards to the dogs.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whaddya mean inverse? Don't be the constipated dog?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I now love you more than I ever knew possible.

[​IMG]

Now that I have more flexibility in scheduling my vacations, I will make it to at least one Keeneland meet a year.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Will you genuflect at Rupp before or after?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No, bet the one that takes a dump.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's an axiom of mine at the greyhound track. Always bet the dog that poops. And if it's wet at the track, with the way most are banked, throw out the inside dogs. On one rainy night I remember the No. 8 getting in the money in every race.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm going to go to a dog track for the first time just to bet on who shits.

Man I love SJ.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Awesome thread. I've been getting back to the track a little following a long break from my days as a teenager, handicapping in school and placing daily OTB bets. I'm placing Keeneland and DelMar on the go-to list.

Went to Saratoga two summers ago for a few days and had an amazing experience. Watched the workouts on a misty morning with the sun just breaking through. Drank Stellas in town and watched the people. Highlight of last year was hitting the triple (boxed) in the Belmont Stakes.

I just try to stay abreast of what's going on the Grade 1 world. Best tip ever was from 66-year-old woman accountant in a long line at OTB. She was a math whiz who took a very analytical approach and constantly ran the numbers. Her tip: It's always about bloodlines.

I'm considering a trip to the Wood Memorial. It will be interesing to see if War Pass is back to his usual self. You have to consider his showing in Tampa (lost big after going off as a 1-20 favorite) fluke until proven otherwise.

It's on NBC tomorrow, too, along with Santa Anita.

12. KoM

KoM Member

Plus, unlike Jai-alai, you know the horse wasn't up until 4 a.m. doing coke!

Draft saved Draft deleted