1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Betting the horses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Apr 3, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

This girl has an incredible knack for picking winners.

[​IMG]

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Piece of advice that paid off nicely on my one trip to the track...find out which jockeys are the best, and bet accordingly. Went to Philadelphia Park with my sister and her husband that one time, and he suggested betting on the hometown hero. Some schmoe named Stewart Elliott. Helped me win a couple races that day.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Box your exactas.

And if you want practice, give yourself a roll of Monopoly money and an afternoon in front of TVG. You'd think tracks would be eager for your business and willing to help show a novice the ropes. But if you hold up progress at the window more than .0000001 nanoseconds, expect to be treated like Mike Vick at a PETA rally.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's so easy.

Overhear some people in your cab who are fixing a race . . . take their advice on the next race after you give them the evidence of the fix . . . poll the patrons as to what horse they would pick, and then choose the one no one picks . . . and when some habitual loser tells you what not to pick, be sure to choose that horse.

And above everything else . . . let it ride.

Easiest $500,000 you'll ever make.

[/trotter]

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And check your tickets before leaving the window, like the sign says. You won't make that mistake twice but life is much better when you just don't make it at all. Trust me.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If his mother and father were mudders, chances are, the horse is going to be good in the rain. At least that's what the television told me.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you don't know shit about the track, the horses, the jocks, you are better served to pick three numbers and do an exacta box every race. Costs 12 bones. Pays off more often than you'd think. Pull three numbers out of your ass and then check the horse, dog, jai alai, whatever numbers next time you are staring at an agate page.

I went to a dog track once and did a 2-5-7 box. It hit. Big. 400 bucks. So I put 2-5-7 boxes on the four races that were about to go off on the simulcasts. Three of them hit.

It ain't always that good, trust me. Sometimes you get shut out. But your odds are just as good as betting blind.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

And if you cover horse racing, the press box, most likely, will have a betting booth inside it for the media.
    The track I have covered does. Right next to the free beer keg.
    Craziest press box I have ever been in.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You can bet the ponies online via a number of sites, but it's better going to the track or a simulcasting facility, where you'll get all the pertinent information (scratches, jockey changes, etc.) instantaneously. If this is an option for you, this is the way to go. But as a number of others have suggested, $20 isn't going to get you very far unless your idea of whiling away a couple of hours is making a couple of $2 wagers every 20 minutes. There are few things as beautiful as a thoroughbred in motion.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And read the Daily Racing Form. It's a unique publication, outside all the nuts and bolts you'd ever want for the race you're betting on. Always wondered what it would be like to work for them. Gotta be a blast.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

That's not a press box. That's heaven.

Also, Keeneland is an extension of utopia. God I love that place.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

When I want to bet the ponies, I just follow my buddy's advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted