1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better than the old man

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 23, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And coming out of college, you could make the argument for Grant Hill over his father, too. Injuries just cost him most of his pro career.

I think you have to take all the evidence into account. And when you do that, Kobe Bryant is a better player than his father was. You really think coaching on the pro level was the only difference?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Definitely not Randy Orton.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Genghis Khan

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Neither Skip, nor Chip Carray.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Not Greg Oden's four sons.

6. boots

boots New Member

Look, I saw both. I am not exaggerating. JB was Magic Johnson before Magic Johnson. The problem was that he was 6-9 and back then, you weren't a guard, you were a forward or small center. Anyone who saw JB as a senior at Bartram and Kobe as a senior at Lower Merion would vouch that I am telling the truth.
    For starters, JB played against better competition. The Philadelphia Public League of 1972-73 was loaded with better teams and players than the PIAA of 1995.

7. XXXX

XXXX Member

pete rose jr.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Jesus of Nazareth

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Luke Skywalker

10. statrat

statrat Member

Not Pete Rose Jr.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I wonder if Jeremy Schaap will someday interview Pat Knight, and tell him he's got a long way to go to be as good as his dad.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never said you were making anything up about either Bryant. I'm just saying it is silly to judge them only on what they were in high school when we have their careers after that to judge them on.

Lots of guys are absolute beasts and sure bets for the Hall of Fame in their sport in high school. But that shouldn't outweigh what they do at the professional level. And when it came time to play at the highest level, the younger Bryant is the one that produced.

Draft saved Draft deleted