1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better than the old man

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Not Mark Howe ... and so far, not any of the Sutter kids ... not Steve Gainey, eithwe.

Hell, the 'nots' are easy.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Not Hank Williams Jr.

Not Roseanne Cash.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ken Norton Sr. was a damn good heavyweight during the best period in the history of the division, with all-timers like Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Holmes.

He beat Ali and broke his jaw in their first fight and gave him complete hell in their other two fights, beat the tricky Jimmy Young, KO'd Jerry Quarry and exposed Duane Bobick. He lost a close decison to Holmes in one of the best heavyweight title fights ever but folded in two against Foreman who did that to plenty of guys way back in the day.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I have no idea if Jelly Bean was better than Kobe. Certainly a better nickname.

But to assert that Michael Douglas is somehow equal to or greater than his father as either an actor or a movie star is madness, I say! Madness!

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Jesus, man. Get a hold of yourself.

6. boots

boots New Member

Tell you what, e-mail Ted Silary at the Philadelphia Daily News. He too will probably confirm that COMING OUT OF JOHN BARTRAM HIGH SCHOOL, Jellybean was a better all-around player than Kobe.
    And for those who don't know, John Bartram also spawned NBA Hall of Famer Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.

As for Ken Norton Jr. and Ken Norton Sr., it's kind of hard because they played two separate sports. Norton Jr. had some good years in the NFL but wasn't a Hall of Famer. Norton Sr. had some memorable bouts but he never won the big ones. True he busted Ali up but I saw him go against the late great Jimmy Young and he couldn't handle him at all.

Of all the father and son tandems that I have come across, Junior Griffey was the most talented WHO NEVER worked at his craft. I think that's why his body betrayed him after he left Seattle.
    And yes, he has always been called Junior and it doesn't both him. I can't say the same for Ken Norton Jr. although since his dad's health has deteriorated, he's come to accept the name with pride.

7. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Not Alan Hale, Jr.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Richard Petty belongs on the list - Kyle doesn't

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In his prime Jimmy Young made everybody - but Earnie Shavers, who knocked him out - look bad. I'm convinced he beat Ali in their title fight.

10. boots

boots New Member

Yes, Jimmy got robbed.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Hal McRae did not suck. He's nowhere near a HOF discussion, but he was a damn good hitter for the Royals.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Barry Bonds.

Draft saved Draft deleted