1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better than the old man

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not Random Athlete's Son.

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Someone please change Boots' meds, I don't believe for a second that Jellybean Bryant was a " MUCH BETTER PLAYER" than Kobe coming out of HS or any other equivalent stage of their careers. Kobe was drafted higher as an 18-year-old out of HS than his dad was as a 22 year-old with four years of college ball experience (at which age Kobe was already 1st Team All-Pro who'd just won a world championship).

Boots, that statement strikes me almost as absurdly as the time you kept insisting that the problem with Greg Oden was that he was "not physically impressive."

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm also wondering who the fuck "Junior Griffey" is.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're not serious, are you?
    He is regularly referred to as Junior Griffey

5. three_bags_full

Why is that? His name is Ken Griffey Jr. I just don't understand it. People trying to be cute and failing.

6. three_bags_full

It seems to me like people are trying to sound like Chris Berman.

7. boots

boots New Member

Call this number, 215-474-2801. Ask for a guy named Sonny Hill. For those who don't know, he happens to be a former CBS NBA announcer who is currently an executive with the Philadelphia 76ers and a key member of the McDonald's All-America selection committee.
    He will back up what I said, with stories.
    thanks

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, I'm sure they'll put him right through.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's not even people trying to be cute anymore, since the name has been regularly associated with him for, you know, about 20 years. It's common usage at this point. He responds to Junior, everyone knows who you're talking about, so who cares if announcers like to have fun with it or if it makes grammatical sense?

Or would you rather call him Ken? ::)

10. joe

joe Active Member

I'm Spartacus.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

George W. Bush?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

George.

Draft saved Draft deleted