1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better than anything you'll read in today's newspaper ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullwinkle, Jul 19, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Me, too.

I wonder if that's a dress rehearsal for the obit he figures he'll be writing one of these days?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm hoping it's not a column that a paper in kansas city didn't want to run.

3. RamonaShelburne

RamonaShelburne New Member

Whoever posted this link just committed me to another four hours for reading this site. It is too good. I kind of want to sell ads for Joe right now, just to prove that if the writing ad stories are good enough, readers will read 2,000 word stories online.

Here's my new favorite post:

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/05/12/i-really-didnt-need-that-stew/

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"My god! A freshman!" Just gives me chills.

Thanks for reposting that. Won't ever get tired hearing The Legend Of Herschel.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Maybe he's working on a Musial book... kind of seems like material for one

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The best Musial stat is the one he left out (at least I think). Didn't he have exactly half of his 3,630 hits at home and half on the road? That's amazing.

7. In Exile

In Exile Member

I'm always skeptical of anecdotes like this that appear without a date attached. The Cardinals trailed by 2 in the 9th, then Musial triples w/the bases loaded to win the game - a one-run victory. But after looking on Baseball Reference and then checking a few box scores and game stories, I can't find a match for this game in any Cardinal/Dodger contest played in 1952.

Not saying it didn't happen - maybe I'm missing something - but the same problem was noted in the "comments" section to the story.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bookmarked.

And mentioned on my BLOG! so all three of my readers can see it.

(I may be overstating my number of readers by roughly three.)

9. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Everytime I read one of his stories like that, I shake my head and am just like, "Damn." Same thing happened a while back when he did a column on Bo Jackson.

Man is simply an amazingly gifted writer.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Nope, he's writing a book about the 1975 Cincinnati Reds. Which reminds me of another brilliant post, this one about Pete Rose and Bruce Springsteen.

When you get to the end, you'll want to scroll back up to the top and read it again. And if it doesn't inspire you to want to do good work today, then perhaps nothing will.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/04/28/roses-and-bosses/

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

This is far and away the best post Joe has written. I've read it about 100 times and it never fails to make me laugh.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Read down in the comments and they post his column from that story. It's amazing.

I'm partial to that post because of my neverending love of/for Chuck Culpepper.

Draft saved Draft deleted