1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better than anything you'll read in today's newspaper ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullwinkle, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

And it's from a BLOG (!) ... granted, it's Joe Posnanski's blog.

I still can't believe he generates this sort of content for something he does for "fun" on his own time. Absolutely incredible.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/07/19/musial/

2. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

it's better than any 2,363-word piece on a guy who hasn't played in 45 years in our section today

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Great, great stuff!

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tremendous.

5. Faithless

Faithless Member

While visiting St. Louis a week ago, I toured Busch Stadium and had my picture taken at the Stan Musial statue located next to the new Stan Musial Drive sign at the stadium's west entrance. Later, I visited the Cardinals museum (which shares the same building as the Bowling Hall of Fame not far from Busch) and admired the memorabilia, trophies and certificates of honor and appreciation displayed in honor of Stan the Man.

It's given me a renewed appreciation of Musial's greatness. It will be a sad day in baseball when Musial passes, and according to one of our tour guides at the stadium, that day could come soon.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Awesome story.

I remember hearing how Musial used to wear out the Dodgers at Ebbets Field so much, even the Brooklyn fans would cheer him.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I will repost this, as it is the greatest blog post ever made.*

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2007/11/28/herschel/

* = scientific fact

8. bdangelo

bdangelo Member

Excellent writing. Musial may be overlooked more often than not today, but he certainly wasn't when he was playing. My only regret is that I never got to see him play (other than on film).

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This should be on your RSS feed if it isn't already. His stuff is a consistent joy to read.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

It's on my Firefox toolbar and I click on it probably twice a day checking for updates.

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I think he's full of shit.
    /Buzz

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm better for the read. nice piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted