1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better racism, less pizza, Papa Johns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Been to that Red Hook IKEA a couple of times.

Also went to a trendy seafood place near the water called Brooklyn Crab. Pretty good. But I had a better time at the fantastic dive bar we wandered into around the corner called Sunny's. Old-school.

But any trip to Red Hook, IMO, should include a trip to the Lobster Pound. Tremendous. It's a hike, but worth it.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's not that bad a walk if you take the ferry.

Pok Pok is over there, too, by the cruise ship terminal.

Hometown BBQ isn't bad.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For what it is worth, btw.

This restaurant is literally 246 feet from the bakery I posted about. https://nypost.com/2018/02/25/brooklyn-eatery-with-mob-ties-mysteriously-shot-up/

I wasn't "stereotyping" anything. Nor is that story, for what it is worth. It's reality. I was trying to describe the neighborhood for people who don't know it and give a flavor for what it is like around there -- really, how it has been around there going back for at least three quarters of a century. I read a book a year or two ago, because I was interested in learning more about that area. It was called "The President Street Boys: Growing Up Mafia." The street the author was writing about (which he grew up on, and which was mob controlled) is a block from the bakery I posted about, in the other direction from the restaurant that was shot up earlier this year in that story above. He wasn't "stereotyping" the neighborhood either. He was writing about the reality of where he grew up. Shocker. There was mafia in an old Italian neighborhood.

As I said in my post, I believe life there was really nice for the vast majority of people who raised families there and wanted no part of that life. A lot of people who grew up there went on to do some great things (as I posted).

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I have never actually gone into that Brooklyn Crab or the Red Hook Lobster Pound (I don't eat seafood), but I understand both are really popular and considered top of the line. That is the area of Red Hook down by the water that I was saying I have never felt unsafe in. I don't spend much time down there, but I have done runs along the water in Brooklyn that took me all the way down there, and I used to drive to the Fairway near those two places, although I haven't in a while and don't like it nearly as much as I did 10 or 15 years ago.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No kidding. C'mon, Papa. The heartburn alone.

If I'm going to eat pizza, I'd rather it be decent local pizza, but I seem to recall Papa Johns being pretty good 15-20 years ago. Last time I had it, yeah, not so much. Better than Pizza Hut though. A thin crust from Pizza Hut - which I did not enjoy recently at a church group night - was...I can barely describe it. Like ketchup on dirt.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Their thin crust is basically a cracker with Ragu sauce, yeah, but I think their pan pizza is OK as far as chain pizza goes. By that, I mean that it is highly greasy and awful for you, but serves a niche if you liked it growing up. Domino's is usually my choice for a "cheap" pizza, like on the weeks my fiancee is away, otherwise we'll try to go to the best local chain or spot. Papa John's has the garlic butter sauce, but its actual pizza is worse than Domino's and Pizza Hut to me.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The thin crust is like the worst lahvosh I've ever eaten.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Don't sleep on deep dish Little Caesar's, of all things; we had one in the office a while back and it was tasty.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've carried out at Pizza Hut a few times recently, and it's actually pretty decent for the price point. I had a Papa John's recently and had to throw half of it out. Gave me a brutal stomachache and generally just tasted like trash. It was always my least favorite of the chains to begin with, but sometimes when you've had a couple of Jamesons you make poor decisions.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Papa John saying their pizza is different than it used to be is probably the best endorsement of the brand.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted