1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better racism, less pizza, Papa Johns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's the worst pizza among the nationwide chains. And with a racist owner to boot. Bad combination.

Alma and Donny in his element like this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This was the dude who complained about paying healthcare for his employees.

4. How long til he goes to rehab?

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Had the same thought.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Racism only belongs in the comforts of your own home. He should have known this.

This board has opened my eyes to this fact.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I acknowledge it was a stupid fucking thing to say on a conference call. But with the context in which he said it in mind, does it really make him a racist?

SnarkShark, Stoney and spikechiquet like this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "I need to go ta re-ab, rehab? I don't need to go to rehab. FUCK YOU! You need to go to rehab, E-fill tie name is Orben rebenbecker."

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had that thought too, trying to read the stories with an open mind. But there's no room for context anymore. Once it's out, it's an avalanche. His name is on business/entrepreneurship schools at Purdue, Louisville and UK, and they're all going to have to figure out what the heck to do.

And it's mediocre pizza.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

At this point - whether rightly or wrongly - you have to know as a white person that that word can’t leave your lips. Even if you’re using it to prove a point.

About 12 years ago there was an uproar in the town where I worked as a reporter. Local volunteer fire hall was having its monthly meeting and the topic was what to do with junior firefighters, who aren’t old enough or trained enough to me crawling into burning buildings. One volunteer suggested having them do grunt work only - sweeping, cleaning, etc. - And the fire chief said, “they’re not here to do n****r work.”

Needless to say there was giant backlash and, being the good goober that he was, the chief didn’t understand what the big deal was because he wasn’t calling a person that word.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Setting aside for the moment that this word is the third rail of American English, let's not forget that the "context" here is pretty fucked up, too.

The pizza magnate is going to enlighten us all on the historical application of race denigration in the food and beverage industry. But Colonel Sanders said it!

Makes him sound like he's jealous/disappointed he doesn't get to use the word as well.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I'm certainly not one of those white guys who is wondering "if they get to say it, why can't I?" I don't want to say it, have no reason to. But in this instance, it is more a comment on Papa John's intellect and general awareness than his feelings toward black people.

But the headlines read "Papa John said the N-word." Therefore, Papa John is racist. It's a little ridiculous, but not at all surprising.

Which is guess is the reason it was stupid as shit for him to say it at all.

SnarkShark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted