1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better late than never Richmond

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Times-Dispatch took a bold step that many others papers may soon follow.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003994843

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well that changes everything.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah. It's great they waited 50 years to say it though. Awesome, RT-D.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

that's just awesome.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Someone is NOT amused

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Drip

Drip Active Member

And if I'm not mistaken, a statue of a man on a horse with the tail down means that he died in battle.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

According to the AP story we ran:

8. imjustagirl

Good ol' Wilder.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's been 50 years. I don't think anyone who was in the News-Leader or Times-Dispatch newsrooms then are there now (though James Kilpatrick is still kicking at the senseless age of 193). Nobody there's going to have emotional ownership of the story because they didn't do anything to advocate Massive Resistance, they just happen to work at a paper that did 50-some years ago. So I'm not sure what Wilder's looking for -- other than a do-over of his disastrous run as Richmond mayor earlier this decade.

10. bwright

bwright Member

And if I'm not mistaken, a statue of a man on a horse with the tail down means that he died in battle.
    [/quote]

Interesting. I'd heard they put the horse's legs int the air when you die in battle .
    That may be british, though.

11. imjustagirl

Apparently no one's right. I always thought one hoof up was injured, two hooves up was killed, which is what's first in this story. But that changes depending on the source.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20010112.html

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The Lexington Herald-Leader did it five years ago:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28209-2004Jul4.html

A Richmond story. The first time I brought my wife there, I turned onto Monument Avenue and told her that all the statues were of Confederate generals. She said, "Yeah? That one is holding a tennis racket." Arthur Ashe. I hadn't known about his statue.

Draft saved Draft deleted