1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better Colleges Failing to Lure Talented Poor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Which one of those schools is not like the other? I'm sure VT's administration claim it's the Ivy League school of Blacksburg.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/14/colleges-with-the-highest_1_n_796136.html#s206355&title=Harvard_University_98

Many elite universities will do anything possible to keep a student enrolled so they can preserve their graduation rates. Please scroll the above post and look at the schools at the top.

They do not have "weed out" courses like you see at many state universities.

Ivy schools are about "getting in" and state schools are about being able to stay in.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

VT is a bitch to get into. I have heard students not getting into Tech, in state, but getting accepted to Ivy schools.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

You're generally correct about it being hard to flunk out of elite schools, but wrong about "weed out" courses.

At least in the past, so many kids arrived at Duke thinking they were pre-med that Freshman Bio and Chem were designed to convince them otherwise.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I betcha they have weed-out courses at MIT ...

You have a bit of a tautology in place at the Ivies, because they do attract strong students who are very motivated, so there's not too much concern among the faculty about holding students' feet to the fire. So the idea that Harvard's 98 percent graduation rate reflects something special going on at Harvard is a bit misguided.

One other thing: The emphasis on retention is very, very strong even at much lower-level schools. Before latching on at my current gig, I was at a moderately prestigious, primarily undergraduate school in the Southeast. We actually turned away quite a few applicants, because we were a fallback school for very good students. Yet once our freshman darkened the door, we fell over backwards to keep them there (not me; I taught at the junior/senior level). And if a student was a fuck-up, he/she still merited lots of attention and hand-holding to stay in there. I was always very troubled by the resources we directed toward keeping Suzie Snowflake enrolled even when she wasn't showing much interest; I had it in my head there were other students out there who would be thrilled to take Suzie's seat and actually do something with it.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Aside from the occasional disinterested legacy student whose parents funded a library or a science lab, I'd guess that most of the "weeding out" happens on the front end. The type of people who are selected by elite schools are the people who are prepared and motivated to succeed at elite schools. It's a huge enough shock to some of these kids when they get a B grade instead of the straight A's to which they'd become accustomed in prep school.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Fascinating program.
    Who funds it, and how involved are the parents of the students?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The world according to 93Devil.

Cranberry said it the short and sweet way.

When I went to college 25+ years ago, there were fewer kids going to college. Now way more people go to college. The idea is that you need college to just step onto the playing field.

That means that a lot of schools are filled with less motivated, less prepared students. At the same time, the cost of education has risen, making it difficult to swing for a lot of people. Graduation rates at various types of schools reflect the students they attract.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc. reject a large percentage of valedictorians of their high school classes. Yale rejects kids with perfect SAT scores every year. It has become ridiculously selective. The kids who get into those schools are bright, highly motivated and aren't simply attending college for the practical reason that a college degree now provides you (practically) what a high school degree gave you in the job market when my dad was that age. Kids going to Yale aren't just looking for a college degree. They were able to get into very elite schools, that give you more of an edge than just a college degree. Harvard rejects 94 percent of its applicants. That includes a ton of kids who were superbright and highly motivated -- a large percentage who were valedictorians of their classes or had perfect math SAT scores.

This is from 2007, but gives the gist of what has happened to the competitiveness at those schools: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/04/education/04colleges.html. And the types of students that end up there.

The graduation rates at a lot of the well-regarded schools you are talking about reflect the quality of the students they attract, the fact that they are driven to succeed and the understanding those kids have that it's not just "going to college." A degree from those schools gives you a leg up that you don't get from attending other places.

It is mind-numbingly simplistic, and silly, to suggest that those schools don't have "weed out" courses or that it is about "getting in," and not about "being able to stay in." I can name several schools that fall under that elite college label that are among the most academically rigorous places and have reputations for being pressure cookers for many of the students -- who ended up there in the first place because they were so driven to succeed (so they have that personality to begin with), and they find the environment, and the competition from other students, very challenging.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True.

But the admissions system is no better equipped to identify them than it was to identify Suzie Snowflake.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They don't try to weed anyone out at the really expensive private schools. I'm not saying good grades there are easy, but it's typically tougher to fail than it is at the public schools... The private schools know that if the parents are paying some ungodly amount of money to send their kids there, they're not going to keep them there if they're failing class.

My cousin went to MIT and said he had classes where he did virtually nothing and should have failed, but got Cs and said it was incredibly rare for anyone to get a D or an F. I've heard the same things about Stanford, Emory, Harvard, Princeton...

One of my best friends went to Stanford for two years and Cal for two years and said Cal was so much harder than Stanford that it wasn't even funny. He basically said, "Stanford will do everything in its power to make sure you don't fail, but at Cal, they don't give a shit..."

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're right ... I should have explained more. Suzie had shown, in no uncertain terms, that she wasn't interested in doing something with that seat. My take was that since she'd shown she wasn't going to put it to good use, maybe a better use of our limited resources was to let someone else have a chance with it. Even if that someone else was a fuck-up, too, at least we hadn't blown through those resources.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But having won the seat - and the admissions process being no more predictive of success on the part of any replacement - doesn't Suzie deserve the chance to succeed?

Lots of high-achieving folks rich and poor unpredictably wash out when they get to the next level - of education or baseball or music, etc. Why kick Suzie to the curb before you've given her the chance to right herself?

Draft saved Draft deleted