1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better coach: Charlie Weis or Ty Willingham?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 85bears, Oct 23, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

For the record, Notre Dame doesn't get a $14 million BCS payout anymore. The new BCS structure is different - they get what would be about a regular BCS conference team's share. Then they get $1 million in years when they don't make it into the BCS. This gets misreported a lot.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

85 is right, the rule was changed last year, I believe.

If Notre Dame makes the BCS, I believe they receive the share comparable to what a conference's second BCS entrant would receive, which is in the neighborhood of $4-6 million.

In the years they don't make a BCS game, they get a consolation-prize share (just as the other BCS confereces with only one participant), but not a large one.

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Though I'm a ND fan I have to admit, this is funny.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If the question were "Bigger Tits: Charlie Weis or Ty Willingham?" then Fatty McFat wins hands down.

5. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

I am a big Notre Dame fan, so you can feel free to discard my opinion on the issue, but Charlie Weis is a better coach. Ty Willingham was the better person. Given the choice between the two, I want Weis.

Willingham was given a raw deal, but he won with smoke and mirrors his first year. I don't think they scored an offensive touchdown in wins over Maryland and Purdue and had to force something like five turnovers to beat Michigan. The team didn't have a prayer against USC that year and was humiliated by -- gulp -- Chuck Amato in the Gator Bowl. Part of the blame can be placed on Bob Davie for turning every quarterback in the program and turning them into something else, but it was still a horribly inefficient offensive team.

Weis brought a spark back to Notre Dame that hadn't been there in some time. There's a certain arrogance needed to be the coach; you can't be a nice guy. You need to be a bit of a dick. That being said, there's only so much coaching can do. There was an obvoius talent disparity against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl, especially in the defensive backfield. This year's offensive struggle is a bit odd, but the Irish have also played some fairly good defensive teams.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is definitely pressure to win at Washington...

Does it compare to Notre Dame? No way... Willingham has proven that he's a good Pac-10 coach, but he's not the coaching elite. Weis is.

7. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

At least Washington fans don't have to live with the fear of their enormous coach having a heart attack any day now.

Draft saved Draft deleted