1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better coach: Charlie Weis or Ty Willingham?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 85bears, Oct 23, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'd agree that there is more pressure to win at Washington than many outside of the region realize.

And the P-I's Ted Miller would disagree with your evaluation of Neuheisal's flawed regime:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/miller/289059_miller18.html

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You and Ted Miller are right, it just sucks that Slick Rick had to cheat, get fired and get UW in trouble and make it so not only was it hard to recruit, but fans had to suffer through Keith Gilbertson at the head of the program.

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

That was the year that Notre Dame had no business being in that Bowl, and Oregon State had no business being anywhere than whichever Bowl decided the national championship, and the postgame commentary was all whiny "look at Oregon State dancing" bullspit.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Slick Rick would argue the UW's compliance office is what caused the whole problem.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You are also correct! Biggest March Madness pool winners please Alex.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

ND was either 9-2 or 10-2 going into that Fiesta Bowl game. By most standards they somewhat earned it.

And watching Chad Johnson and T.J. Whosyomamma put an ass whipping on them was beautiful.

7. Jesus -- and I use the term loosely -- Notre Dame football talk makes my ears bleed.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sorry F_B. For a college football season to contain the proper amount of emotional satisfaction, Notre Dame has to be good enough so when its ass gets kicked in its biggest game of the year, it's simply delightful for the rest of us.
    When's that USC game again?

9. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Do you even need to talk about this topic.

WEIS

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

"Somewhat" being the operative word there. They had no offense that year. Their quarterback was Matt Lovecchio, for Christ's sake. They lost valiantly to #1 Nebraska and beat no one worth naming here. But they finished 9-2, so they get in the Fiesta Bowl.
    And that's why they haven't won a bowl game in 14 years. They keep getting invited to ones they probably aren't qualified for. May well happen again this year. But for $14 million, would you say no?
    As for the initial question, at least regarding coaching at Notre Dame: Weis, no doubt.
    He gets that place in a way Willingham (and Davie, for that matter) never did. Willingham is a fine man and probably a good football coach, in the Pac 10. But he never seemed to understand what it meant to be the head football coach at Notre Dame. It means a lot. It's not like coaching at other schools, even big-time schools. I know that's obnoxious and arrogant. But it's true. Notre Dame's an unusual place. Holtz got that, and he's beloved. Weis gets it, too. And people see that. And when he has tough times next year, after Quinn & co. are gone, that understanding will buy him some breathing room. And it makes him a better coach for Notre Dame.

11. What's the call-in show in the mornings on C-SPAN where they have a Republican line and a Democratic line for the callers? All Notre Dame posts should have separate Notre Dame bashers and Notre Dame lovers lines.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

STL, where ya been?

Can't stand ND, but your posts always make sense and are well-thought out when it comes to the Irish, as opposed to the loooser fan boys. Seriously. I think Tyrone got it, he just never showed it. He's waaaay too tight, to his detriment.

USC-ND will a $20 million game, because both will have one loss and both will be battling for that final BCS berth.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted