1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twirling Time, Feb 9, 2015.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I found the finale to be tremendously unsatisfying. Saw Chuck's recorder ploy coming 10 miles away. A good finale should conclude some measure of story and this did none of that. This would've been an excellent second to last episode, but that is no way to close a season on either the Chuck/Jimmy story or the Mike/Gang story.

Iron_chet likes this.
  2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Gus was my first guess as well. It's the advantage of a prequel to an existing series, is that it can play off the game of "when will Breaking Bad characters show up."

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I saw a critique of the show saying they were bringing back too many Breaking Bad characters and that there needed to be more good new ones. Maybe they could add more quality new characters, although the ones they have done are pretty dang good. But how can you get to where Saul and Mike were in Breaking Bad without bringing back some of the characters they have? You could, but they obviously have a history and it kind of has to be addressed at some point in some way. If they bring back the characters, so be it.

Also, I think it maybe has some of the same styling, but this isn't Breaking Bad 2 or anything. It is a stand alone show to me, and a very good one. I don't think you have to have followed Breaking Bad at all to watch and get a lot out of this show. It might make it more fun for the Breaking Bad fan, though.

All that said, the note almost has to be from Gus. I didn't even think of it until I saw it here (and then someone else post that the first letter of each episode title this year is FRING'S BACK, which is just cool). All of it a great touch to what' been an excellent show.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Has Slate decided to embrace its reputation and troll the whole world by its very existence:

Coming up: Why Joc Pederson Is A Better Baseball Player Than Mike Trout

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not prepared to call Saul a better show than Breaking Bad because Season 3 is when Breaking Bad hit all-time great status. But BCS had a better first season and the second seasons were of very similar quality.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Man, I couldn't possibly disagree with that more.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Guess I'll have to start watching Breaking Bad.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Unfair to judge the first season of Breaking Bad against anything, considering the writer's strike had such an affect on it. Same goes for Parks and Rec.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In two seasons of Saul, we've had two interchangeable Chuck visits to the hospital. They furthered a storyline we already knew - he has a reaction to electricity. Its been drilled into our head.

We've had two "scams" with Jimmy and Kim - which resulted in - ?a check that won't get cashed? - wow, that's all time storytelling.

We've had a storyline with the daughter in law that is exactly..... well, I have no idea what the point is, but we are only two years in.

We've had the nursing home case for two years. Enthralling.

A full year ago, Jimmy told Mike that they should have kept the $1.6 million embezzlement, and whatever stopped him "is never going to stop him again"..... yet he is the same character in season two.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm still in for Season 3, but the pace definitely needs to pick up. We were set up at the end of Season 1 for a lot more than we got in Season 2.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

But the way Gilligan shot it was so cooool! Best show ever!

Draft saved Draft deleted