1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twirling Time, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I know everyone else was watching the Grammys, but I wanted to see the first episode.

The opening scene was tremendous, a callback to the end of Breaking Bad (in black and white).

I found the first part of it painfully slow, but it picked up toward the end. It's a different type of show from BB (at least at the beginning). I can't wait to see what direction they go with it.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I watched Better Call Saul as it was aired, which I almost never do.

Odenkirk has done the podcast tour and he's made it pretty clear that even though he was mostly comic relief on Breaking Bad, this show is primarily a drama. It also sounds like there is a lot of background they have to get through in the first couple episodes...

I'm fully in.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

JR and I are both in. Nobody does people careening down slippery moral slopes like Vince Gilligan.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I'll watch at least one more episode before deciding whether I'm in on this one. As others have noted, it's starting slow as the show fills in background.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'll check out "Battle Creek" when it's on in a few weeks, although I'm guessing if one of them is going to underperform, I'd bet on the network show.

6. Twirling Time

The opening 'sode had lots of quotable quotes.

"You stick your wang in the throat-hole!"

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought the opening scene was awesome and am highly anticipating tonight.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah. Biznatch.

9. Twirling Time

Still in. The dark humor is appreciated.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is the whole Jimmy/Saul name thing something that was explained in BB? I didn't see every episode. Or the thing with the high brow firm and the dying guy and the grounded stuff? I'm not dense but they lost me.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I laughed a lot last night while getting more backstory, so I'm still in. My problem with the show is that I didn't like Saul and so far I still don't like Saul. It would have been fine with me if Tuco killed him in some unpleasant way.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In the first episode of BB where Saul appears, he said that his name is McGill but that “The Jew thing I just do for the homeboys. They all want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe, so to speak.”

Draft saved Draft deleted