1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better Call Saul Season 5

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 25, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is there something more to Jimmy's "vendetta" against Howard than just being a jerk? Howard's always seemed like an uptight little turd, but pretty harmless - and he even offered Jimmy a job. Is this Jimmy's way to self-sabotage the life he could have had, because he doesn't think he deserves it? Doesn't want to be tempted by it? Does he blame Howard for Chuck? Himself? Or is Howard some "stand-in" for Chuck, who misses the conflicted relationship he had with him. Or simply a device to keep Howard on the show without having to develop a separate plotline?

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think deep down its self sabotage. Jimmy either thinks Chuck was right about him....or he simply doesnt want that up-tight, button down life. He wants to be Slippin Jimmy with a law degree, and by sabotaging his shot to go legit he gives himself permission to be that.

He sabotaged his partner track at Davis/Mane a few seasons ago too. Hell even before he took that job he was trying to get the boot, demanding the cocobollo desk and all that, trying to get them to kick him out so he could say “see” and do things his own way

3. DanOregon

I always wondered who was calling the shots between Fring and the German multi-national.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Has everyone lose interest in BCS? I always looked forward to some critiques every week.

5. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I think this has been its best season. Still watching. Jimmy's unloading on Howard at the end of this past week's episode was pretty great.

6. DanOregon

Yes - it kind of answered my question from above. Though I really do think its self-sabotage.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Ive lost some interest. Its not the same show without Chuck. Its still good but the mystery and discussion gets less and less, I think, the closer it gets to BB

8. DanOregon

BTW - seeing Giancarlo Esposito playing Adam Clayton Powell Jr. on Godfather of Harlem is fantastic stuff. He was great on Homicide, great on BB. He tends to play supporting roles that are so dynamic they end up taking the shine of the show's lead. Don't know why he doesn't get bigger roles, bigger movies.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

BB fans know where it all leads to. But the interest in the show stems from what path they choose.

Kim's going to get it. We just don't know how yet.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I love the series and this season has been excellent. No real reason I haven’t posted about it, other than I usually watch it late and go to sleep.

Kim’s story is going to be interesting. I had figured whatever happened to her would be what finally pushes Jimmy completely over the edge. But he’s pretty much already there. So it’s a huge mystery.

Rest of this season and a sixth and final season to go.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Last night’s episode made slogging through the earlier episodes this season so worth it.

Iron_chet and Batman like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That was pretty phenomenal. Sepinwall compared it to the BB episode "4 Days Out," where Walt and Jesse's RV breaks down in the desert during a days-long meth cook, and I was definitely thinking the same thing as "Bagman" played out.
    The shootout scene was great. Mike showing up was actually the last scenario that crossed my mind. At first I thought the bandits might be Lalo's guys taking the cash as part of a courier system. Then I thought the Cousins had hung around to provide cover. Then maybe a third party when Mike's truck showed up. Even though it should have been obvious, the reveal was a bit of a surprise to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted