1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better Call Saul - Season 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Apr 11, 2017.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

[
    Vince Gilligan hinted in the aftershow that the Kim Wexler angle won't have a favorable outcome, or that it seems to be heading in that direction. We know something happens to her, obviously, but to what extent. I thought during Episode 9 that the wreck would be the end of her story. Others have speculated that she'll get caught up with Jimmy on this Mesa Verde tampering thing and end up in jail as an accomplice.

As for Chuck, I have a feeling Chuck isn't dead. I have a feeling that in true Breaking Bad/BCS fashion, someone will intervene at the last second (Ernie?) and save Chuck. It seems too easy to just get rid of Chuck that way.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I found it interesting that Jimmy was casually chatting with Kim about the Irene/settlement scheme during their Blockbuster night.

Few epps back she kind of hinted she didnt want to know about his illegal schemes (maybe it was the squat cobbler? I forget exactly)....but that quick aside suggested shes now fully in the loop and if not on board, not opposed or repulsed either

3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

A random thought about what might happen going forward:

Kim has her car accident, and then given a choice in medications, asks for "the good stuff." Then clears out Blockbuster and binge-watches movies. Might she be on her way to narcotic addiction?

It would be one way to draw Jimmy closer to the drug trade.

StaggerLee and Football_Bat like this.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

5. StaggerLee

Good to see it's official. What I'm anxious to see is if this wraps up in the fourth season or if they look to drag it to a fifth season, especially knowing season 4 had to go to the negotiating table.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Someone embedded a youtube on the board, and it linked to one of those "best of breaking bad" youtubes, so of course I went down the rabbit hole.

In season 2 of BB, Walter, enraged, is starting to tell his wife (forget her name) that his business is big enough to be listed on the Nasdaq. That he isn't afraid when people knock on the door - he does the knocking.

My point is that midway through season 2, SO MUCH had happened on BB. Three seasons into BCS, and.... his brother died.

Just so slow.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sorry, that was more than halfway through Season 4.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Oh, you are right, it was #2 on the list. My bad.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's intentional, but the pace of BB and BCS kind of mirrors their subject matter.
    Breaking Bad was about one man's meteoric rise to drug kingpin, with crystal meth as the catalyst. The show had incredibly slow moments (the first half of Seasons 2 and 3, the first few episodes of Season 5) followed by incredible and intense highs (Jane's death, the back half of Seasons 3 and 5, "Ozymandias) from which you couldn't turn away.
    Better Call Saul is about a lawyer's lifelong descent into immorality. It's slow, meticulous and procedural, much like the legal system itself.

Point being, for as many great moments that BB had, there were large chunks of the first 2 1/2 seasons that were absolutely glacial in their pacing.

10. StaggerLee

I think what it's also showing, to me at least, is how friggin' lucky Walter was to be the "kingpin" of Albuquerque. Everything that happens in BCS is just paving the way for him to just waltz right in and take over the ABQ market. It's not that he was any good at it, he just got very lucky.

Of course, Breaking Bad kind of exposed some of that also, but BCS just really reinforces that belief.

Draft saved Draft deleted