1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best year for movies?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jan 24, 2020.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

There’s maybe 10 good movies on that list. Maybe.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Some of those movies never had a prime. It is interesting seeing the Best Picture noms of the last 20 years or so - a few I saw and they were good, but they weren't movies I felt I wanted to, or needed to see ever again. Great movies are movies you can watch over and over again. A lot of the art-house stuff that is nominated might be well crafted, tell meaningful stories but they don't emotionally resonate past a month (Which is why they come out in December just in time for the nominations).

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Those are not art house movies. They are imitation art house movies. Right now in my home town theater they're showing 1917 and Little Women. Neither are comic book movies, but they're both very good in their own ways and aim to be mainstream commercial. I mean, Little Women has been mainstream commercial for 150 years. There are daily tours of the Alcott house five miles from where I'm typing this.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but a lot of them are guilty pleasures.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fletch was the best movie of '85.

qtlaw likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm partial to 1988 myself.

Bull Durham, Die Hard, Rain Man, Beetlejuice, Big, Twins, The Naked Gun, A Fish Called Wanda and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Probably the last year I ever saw all of them in an actual cinema, as opposed to waiting for HBO or Showtime or VHS at the time.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Seems like there's two discussions going on: The Best Year for Films and The Year That Had The Most of My Favorite Films.

Bubbler likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

[​IMG]

9. Twirling Time

As far as bad years for movies, 1990 was pretty unmemorable but I think history was kind to the best of them.

"Ghost" and "Dances with Wolves" were the top box office draws, and I remember the final numbers being stunningly underwhelming for both. But there were plenty of others released in the year which hold up today, namely "Driving Miss Daisy," "The Hunt for Red October," "Pretty Woman" and "Goodfellas."

In fact, I think "Home Alone" (which opened 11/18/90) probably rescued the film industry for that year.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Looks like the Backdoor Maddux.

Batman and Twirling Time like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seeing some of these movies listed, it's funny that I think I could tell you with 99 percent certainty every movie I've ever seen in a theater.
    Like, I couldn't make a list of them. There are way too many for that. But if you throw out a movie title I could tell you whether I saw it in a theater or not.

12. Twirling Time

To me, the best year for movies was the year I saw Farrah Fawcett’s boobies.

Draft saved Draft deleted