1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/Worst Stadium Experiences

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Nov 7, 2019.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I have not been in very many major-league or college ball parks in total. Arrowhead and Kaufmann are both great and I love going to Coors Field.

The Metrodome, for baseball anyway, was the worst by far.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

My 2 favorite arenas of all-time. Such charm and intimidation. Never covered a game at St. Louis Arena, but covered a few in the final few seasons of Chicago Stadium.

In the final year, got there super early for a Bulls game and just wandered around the basement. Encountered a couple of the badass cats who lived there (they could have killed me if they wanted) and found Phil Jackson at the deserted end of one hallway, sitting in a folding chair blazing a heater.

He offered me one. I declined but we sat and chatted about the NFL for 5 or 10 minutes. He was extremely cool.

Liut likes this.
  4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Cool story!

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I often daydream about the stadiums I missed.

Ebbets Field. The Polo Grounds. The Madison Square Garden Bowl in Queens.

The wooden stadium they built in Reno for the Johnson - Jeffries fight. The old velodromes.

Stillman's Gym on 8th Avenue.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds were probably dumps, by today's standards. But yes, I would have loved to have attended a game there. I walk with a guy who was born inn NYC in 1948 and who has attended games there; his dad played football at both venues as CCNY's quarterback back in the day.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I also enjoy the old stadiums and there are still quite a few, contrary to what some say.

Best:
    For college football, it’s tough to beat the atmosphere at Norte Dame, though my favorite overall experience may have been at Husky Stadium in Seattle. Beautiful, recently renovated stadium that is surrounded by a lake and in a great part of town and actually on a college campus.

The Rose Bowl and the LA Coliseum are also up there with my favorite places to catch a game, and I don’t care for UCLA or USC.

CenturyLink and Soldier Field are my favorites for NFL. For MLB, PNC Park and Camden Yards beat Fenway and Dodger Stadium — but all four are pretty great.

Worst:
    FedEx Field by a mile. Ugly design, terrible parking, not a great part of town. Oh, and the fans are some of the worst.

By contrast, RFK Stadium was once a great place to watch a game.

Second worst? Petco Park. San Diego is great and all, but the atmosphere at Petco is dead and the stadium has no character.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  9. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

I had to think about my answer to this for a while. As a beat reporter and columnist, I visited eight or nine venues, and never had what I would consider a bad experience.

As a spectator growing up, however, I can't say I thought very highly of the old venues in Toledo. Both Ned Skeldon Stadium (which wasn't even in city proper) and the Toledo Sports Arena overstayed their welcome. They each showed their age inside and out, each lacked any personality, the arena's PA system was practically inaudible and the concessions served the only bad pizza I have ever encountered. I have to imagine Fifth Third Field and the Huntington Center were welcome upgrades.

maumann likes this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Thank you for this. I live in SoCal and so many people love that ballpark. Maybe it's because it's (sort of ) new.

I agree that the atmosphere is dead. There also is no flow to the stadium. Depending where you enter and where your seats are, there's a lot of go up the stairs then back down the stairs, or vice versa.

There are a lot of food options, I'll give it that. And a pretty nice Padres Hall of Fame too.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted