1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/Worst sports fights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jun 29, 2016.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I liked Mo Vaughn taking out George Bell.

There is another one when Pedro drills Gerald Williams and he is crushed by Varitek, the 1b and 3b.

Varitek v. Rodriguez

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I don't think you know what sucker punch means.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It was a complete no-win situation for Ventura. If he'd clobbered Ryan, he'd be hated as the youngster who beat up the beloved legendary old man. And if he gets clobbered, he's a laughingstock for being the youngster who got beaten up by a gray-haired old man. Plus, you could tell he really didn't want to charge the mound, but knew his teammates demanded it because of what had transpired in the game.

So what'd he do? Half-heartedly trotted out there only because he thought he had to, then hesitated because he really didn't wanna be doing that, then got humiliated.

And, fwiw, wasn't Ryan the real dickhead in the whole exchange? Headhunting pitches don't come more obviously intentional than that one.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I showed this video to a buddy who's an Islanders fan when I noticed that Berube was on the squad.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I always felt the same way in the Pedro-Zimmer altercation. Pedro did everything he could to keep from hurting Zimmer. If he lets Zimmer tackle him, there's a chance he falls and hurts his arm. If he punches Zimmer, then he's a criminal.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know the other guy.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not that it was a "fight" so much as a punch, but Kermit Washington destroying Rudy T was memorable from my youth.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I had an odd feeling you knew Pittman when I finished typing that.

This Condors fan will buy him a beer just for that fight.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

There is another one when Pedro drills Gerald Williams and he is crushed by Varitek, the 1b and 3b.

Pedro took a no-hitter into the ninth that night.
    Brian Daubach recovered from the shot he took to the funny bone, and every time he came to the plate the rest of the game, the Rays threw at him. They ran out of coaches and bullpen.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For a while last decade, Red Sox-Rays seemed to produce a fight or beanball war 3-4 times a year, and all out of proportion to the competitive balance between the teams.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When we were together in junior he told me he wanted to score a goal, get an assist and have a fight. Never scored a goal or had a fight in junior, was great to see him get stuck in in the ECHL.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a spring training game one year where Jonny Gomes charged second base from right field or something?

Draft saved Draft deleted