1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/Worst sports fights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jun 29, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same here! Not because it was such a great fight. But no matter how many times I see it, I end up laughing.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know one of the goalies in that brawl....

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I read somewhere, maybe in that book about baseball's unwritten rules, that Ventura had no interest in rushing the mound, that it was basically the culmination of a lot of back and forth plunking between the teams, and that he basically got goaded into it by his teammates and the situation. The lesson of course is that you don't ever go into a fight half heartedly -- even against a guy 20 years your senior -- or else you end up getting face punched on repeat

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Pedro Martinez agrees.

[​IMG]

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1984. It was on my birthday. Three separate bench-clearing incidents.

Best parts were:

(1) Bob Horner, who was on the DL with a broken wrist, leaving the broadcast booth, running into the clubhouse to change into his uniform and then running out of the dugout to join the fray.
    (2) Numerous Braves fans, including one guy in bright yellow pants, jumping out the stands to fight the Padres' Champ Summers.
    (3) A shirtless Ed Whitson (who had been ejected earlier in the game and was already in the clubhouse) having to be restrained by teammates in the dugout after trying to run onto the field with a bat.
    (4) The Padres' Kurt Bevacqua running onto the field throwing indiscriminate punches, including one that hits his own third base coach, Ozzie Virgil.

The 1984 bean-brawl game

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    exmediahack and Liut like this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's a shame there's no video on YouTube of Andre Dawson vs. Eric Show.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Any fight involving hockey goalies is the best fight. The fight has to be big for them to be involved and watching goalies fight is awesome.

Ventura-Ryan is overrated. The popularity of the fight is just based on the ages of the players involved.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That was a great one, too. Dawson lay on the field at home plate while everyone fought around him, then suddenly jumped up and went after Show.

Would love to see video of George Bell's flying karate kick on Bruce Kison as well.

Claudell Washington vs. Mario Soto in 1984 was pretty good though. Washington (sort of) threw his bat at Soto. Soto threw the ball at Washington from close range.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The most comical one I ever saw was a couple of years ago in the NHL playoffs, Bruins vs. Flyers. Things had been chippy, and both teams finally dropped the gloves. One of the Flyers players (can't remember who) went after Zdeno Chara, who got him by the throat and just held him there while laughing as the Flyers guy just flailed his arms trying to reach Chara. Even my non-sports-fan wife got a kick out of that one.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Nothing like a Quebec - Montreal playoff brawl....

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I went to 10 or so Braves games a year as a kid and hit the jackpot in '84, seeing the Padres and Reds brawls. As previously detailed, that Padres brawl had everything. And how great was it that Perez kept coming to bat and the SD pitchers kept coming after him? In related news, f*ck the DH for eternity.

Batman, Deskgrunt50 and exmediahack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted