1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/Worst sports fights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This little fracas, courtesy of the NASCAR Truck Series, will be placed on the "worst" list.

But what is your favorite fight of all time. Include hockey if you'd like, but looking for brawls/clashes in sports where that is far from permitted. Of course the Palace comes to mind, for sure. And Jeff Van Gundy has a spot in there somewhere.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Braves-Padres, I think it was 1982, when they threw at Pascual Perez three times before they finally got him.

Lugnuts likes this.
  3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

There were some pretty insane NBA fights back in the day that would be unfathomable today but were sort of just a part of the game and play would continue once the fights ended (non-Tomjanovich).

Dawkins vs. Maurice Lucas:

Willis Reed fighting the Lakers:

Cedric Maxwell vs. Sixers fans:

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bruins/Rangers from '79 which saw Mike Milbury go in the stands and beat a fan with his own shoe:

Ray Knight vs. Eric Davis in '86. Even more fun, the Reds blew the lead when Dave Parker dropped the last out in the 9th, allowing the Mets to tie the score and win in the 14th. Not only that, but Gary Carter played third base and Jesse Orosco and Roger McDowell switched between the mound and the outfield.

METS WIN ON CLOUT IN 14; FOUR EJECTED AFTER BRAWL

The pro wrestling version of the greatest riot ever, caused by Ox Baker in Cleveland in 1974

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yankees/Orioles in 1998 or so ... Darryl Strawberry blasts Armando Benitez.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nolan Ryan vs. Robin Ventura is an all-time classic.

Kyle Farnsworth kicking Paul Wilson's ass was pretty awesome:

And then for innovation, who can forget Izzy Alcantara alertly giving the catcher a spinning heel kick before rushing the mound:

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This happens to be one of my favorites mainly because I was in the crowd for this one. But it really is the overly homer commentary that makes it.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Nolan Ryan-Ventura is one of the most memorable to me.

But the Pacers-Pistons "Malice at the Palace" would like to have a word with this list. Wrecked Reggie Miller's final season.

Tweener likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Jimmy Spencer beating the shit out of Dumbo (Kurt Busch).

murphyc likes this.
  11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The fat dude in the Pistons jersey, who probably had 7 or 8 beers, taking a haymaker from Artest was classic.

exmediahack, Liut and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I may be thinking of a different guy, but I always liked the part where the one fan on the court cocks his fist, charges one of the players, then stops because he didn't realize the player was so tall. There's a split second where you can see the guy about to shit himself, then the player punches him.

Draft saved Draft deleted