1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/worst newspaper companies?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WTFünke, Jun 21, 2011.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I don't see my company on this list, if it's not an oversight then my sympathy to the rest of you.

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Once was told by upper management that I had to trim my department by a person. Woman I decided to lay off was on her weekend, but it didn't matter per the bean-counters. Made me bring her in on her day off to tell her to leave again. She smelled what was coming and made me and the HR goons wait three hours for her to arrive. They were furious, but inside I gave her a high five.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That sentence should be the mantra for every person, especially college grads, when they get hired anywhere in business, newspapers, IT, et cetera.

Add this: Your employer do not owe or reward you for loyalty, no matter how much you vouch for them, bleed for them, and work your ass off. I learned that the hard way...twice. Today, I don't mind landing a job and working it, but I'm working it for me, not to get a watch after 35 years or the unceremonious hook.

OOP, speaking of Patch, they're looking for writers here in Iowa.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Loyalty is one thing, but where people go wrong is when they think they will be recognized and rewarded for things like putting in extra time without pay, not taking their vacation time, missing family events for work, etc.

Or, worst of all, taking on the responsibilities of the job above yours without the additional title and raise because you trust the company to do the right thing.

More likely, you've shown yourself as someone who can be taken advantage of, not someone who will "go the extra mile".

If you don't own a piece of the business, you need to remember that you are an employee. You shouldn't care about the business/company more than the people who do own it.

You're setting yourself up for some major disappointment.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. Very true. Been there, done that.

6. I'm not sure if it's better or worse to come in with a mindset like mine. I never thought I'd get rewarded or appreciated for doing those things. I just thought it was part of the job.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I agree with this. And that's to say nothing of the fact that its journalism policies are often anathema to actual reporting.

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Have been with Landmark Communications (LCNI) for more than 11 years (I turn 30 next week) and I have very few complaints.

Newsroom staff is roughly the same size as it was (25 for a 17K daily) when I started. No furloughs. The few times we've had a sports opening, they were filled. No hiring freezes that I know of. We have cut back some travel, but our bread and butter has always been local preps over the D-I schools two counties away.

If LCNI was mentioned somewhere, I overlooked it and apologize. Not sure it's the best company to work for, but it's far from one of the worst.

9. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

Hmmm..... I think I'll just cut my losses now and get out before I start a family.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Which is why my point is "loyalty" shouldn't mean anything to the person who works there if the business/company who own it doesn't.

It applies to every industry. Sadly, there are those who doesn't think that the fallacy won't apply to them. They're the ones who are to end up being bitter and angry at the end.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is this heaven?

No, but I heard they throw nice parties.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I was just reprimanded for working off the clock after I was informed our overtime was cut in the middle of playoffs. As politely as I could, I told my boss what they were asking us to do in the time provided was impossible, and regardless of if they would pay me or not, I was going to cover the games and comp myself the time later because I needed the coverage for my sections.
    My publisher told me that I wasn't worth a lawsuit (don't know who would sue) and if I did it again, she would walk me out the door personally.
    She then informed me Schieza - formerly a sports guy, now a (ugh) news guy - would oversee the sports department (we don't have an editor) and it was the first good decision she's made in her time at our paper.
    As an aside, my former boss is a conniving asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted