1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best word processor for iPad

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Aug 19, 2012.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Dr. J won an iPad at work the other day, and as the dutiful wife I am, I confiscated it on the spot.

I'm just wondering if the editors out there know of a decent word processing app that I can use to send stories with. I already work at an off-price retailer, so the keyboard was about $40.

Also, since I only work part-time are there any other perks to this thing I can use on the road? I just switched to an iPhone earlier this summer, so I'm getting familiar with the new technology.
  2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

If you want free, then PlainText is just fine. It integrates with DropBox, also free, so you can go online from any computer and work on a document. It's just txt files, so no formatting options.

I switched to Pages, because iCloud has gotten much better at having the latest version available if I want to work on something on my iMac. Pages also lets you save or send as PDF or Word. You'll have to buy both versions for that to work if you have a Mac at home. Pages iOS is $10 and Pages Mac is $20. So, still less than Word.
  3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Would Google Docs work? It's very similar to Word, but Web-based, which has its own advantages. Everything's available from any computer with an Internet connection.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've been using Pages and like it a lot. I have Word on my PC, and it works very well with Word documents.
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The notes thing that comes with it works just fine. Type your stuff, hit email, type in the address and send. I tried a dozen or so others and keep coming back to that.
  6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've been looking into pages since I'm going back to school. As long as I won't have any problems sending stories, that looks like my best option.
  7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are you going to buy a keyboard and stand? I wouldn't use the iPad for schoolwork unless you're going to do final edits on a regular Mac or PC.
Draft saved Draft deleted