1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Wii games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jack_Kerouac, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

We got one for our boys (ages 7 and 5) for Christmas, and I wanted to know what games to look for. My wife is obsessed with getting a Wii Fit, as several of her friends have them and use them daily. Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We got the Wii sports which is just incredible and are getting the Wii Fit as well.

The boxing and tennis are really cool. The bowling is pretty impressive as well.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You can't go wrong with Wii Fit. The 3-year-old is the only one in the house NOT using it regularly (for the record, that would be my wife and I, my 11-year-old son, my 9-year-old daughter and my 6-year-old son, who told us the trainer reminded him to breathe during exercise so his blood pressure would go up). It's amazing how the competitive aspects of it (top scores for ability and technique) and the trainers chiding you for skipping days keeps you at it. It's cheaper than a gym membership, and more convenient. Plus, the board is now being adapted for other games.

Your boys might enjoy Lego Star Wars and Batman, and any of the Pokemon games, though that's a guess, not knowing their personal tastes. Wii Sports is great, and you can get a pack where you can attach the controller, say, to a tennis racket for tennis. For the Star Wars games, you can also get a light-saber attachment, which is extremely cool.

Your boys also might like the Raging Rabbids game. You can shuffle your butt on the Wii Fit board to move your player, for one thing. Endless Ocean was popular for a time in my house.

Finally, I would recommend that off the top you get a subscription to GameFly, which I believe is $22.95 per month. It works the same as NetFlix, except for video games -- you get two at a time, keep them for as long as you want, then get the next available one on your queue once you mail it back. You might end up spending less in the long run that would on games that will be played intensely for a short while, then collect dust on the shelf.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

To add to the GameFly subscription thought. You can also purchase games from them (used) at a great discount. You'll also earn rewards and discounts just for being a member.

A couple of other notes to add to the other posts:

- Wii Sports comes with the Wii. No need to look for that.

- There are a few Rayman Raving Rabbids games out, which our fun. The one Bob mentioned that uses the balance board is TV Party.

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

We have Mario Kart, which is a lot of fun. We have a Playground Sports game that is a bit silly, but still has some fun stuff, like dodgeball. Not great, but fun enough.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, 7 and 5 are good ages for the Wii. My 11-year-old is souring on it some because, in his words, it doesn't support the really cool games, which actually means "games in which you can gruesomely blow up zombies."

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ROCK BAND

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The Lego games -- Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Batman -- are all a good time.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'll third a subscription to GameFly.

Depending how much you will play it, you can go with getting one game or two from GF. The one-game deal is $16.95.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Mario Kart is awesome. And Super Smash Bros. Baseball is great.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

You get Wii Sports when you buy the console, so that's a given.

Get Wii Play, which has some fun mini games (Duck Hunt takeoff, air hockey), but more importantly comes with a second Wiimote, which you'll want anyhow.

Hook your system up via wireless Internet and buy Wii points so you can download World of Goo from the Wiiware part of the online store. It's a great puzzle-style game.

Mario Kart is a great game for kids. My seven and nine-year-old nieces both love Super Smash Brothers (not to be confused with Mario Super Sluggers Baseball), which is an ADD-inducing cute fighting game (no blood, more animated fun than violence).

The Lego games are also wicked cool for all ages. You can do co-op play so if the kids are having a tough time, you can help out.

You will have an extraordinarily tough time finding Wii Fit, so don't get your hopes up.

The other must-have is Super Mario Galaxy, which is perhaps the best game made for the Wii to date.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I knew i had the name of that baseball game mixed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted