1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best way to play this story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, May 25, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Hi all, I oversee two papers as the SE, one of which is a weekly in the county next door. That paper hits the streets on Thursdays, but I have to be done with my section by Wednesday a.m.

Anyways, I have a girls soccer team from the county next door that WON their state semifinal game last Wednesday night (after our deadline of course for last week's paper) but then lost in the state championship game on Saturday.

So, what's the best way to play that in this week's weekly? I have what I consider some great celebration art from last week's win and some OK "dejected" pics from the state final. Also tons of action photos from both games. I'll likely devote the entire page and most of the whole section to this team and their late-season run since there is no other game in town right now and no other real big sports news events (at least not yet).

But I'm just curious how to organize the page and section. My best art is from their win last week but that of course is now overshadowed by the fact the team lost in the title game ... Just curious what others would do here...

Yes, I did do some stuff for our Web site after their Final Four win (game story, photo gallery, etc.) so in that sense their win has been reported when folks could still feel good about it...

Thanks for the help

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Maybe you could run a picture from each game side-by-side. Cutline could say something like they went from the thrill of reaching the final to the dejection of losing in it. The story will cover both aspects, right?

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This is a good idea - but so is simply running an action photo. If you emphasize the loss, you're going to upset a lot of people, regardless of what happened. If you emphasize the win, it's inaccurate.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Two gloves has the right idea. You need to capture the emotion, the highs and lows, and a simple action shot just won't do it.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Thanks for the feedback...

I don't know if it's completely "agony of defeat" for losing in the state finals. "My" team had never been this far in the playoffs before and was probably considered the underdog in the state final.

After giving up a couple of goals in the first half, "my" team played much better after halftime and got back into contention, only to lose 2-1. There were a few chances to tie in the final 10 minutes, including one long-range shot with about 10 seconds left ... The mood afterward was partial agony of defeat but also some satisfaction at getting as far as they did and then making it a game after looking like they were going to get blown out early... tricky indeed

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If your paper has color on the front and the back, you might put the story about the loss with the dejected art on the front and put the stuff about the win with the celebration stuff on the back.

But I like TwoGloves' idea better.

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I would say running the emotion shots side by side or one over top of the other...ecstacy to agony or something to that effect, would be best.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

How about something like the Thrill of Victory and Agony of Defeat

haven't seen that before

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've spanned the globe, and neither have I.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The two photos is a good idea. Prepare for a possible mini-backlash on the crying photo, then forget about it.

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Me, I'd go dominant with the jube and then secondary the finals loss as the ultimate tale here -- since this team is an underdog and all -- is that the team had a helluva run despite the loss in the end. I think that accurately portrays the emotion of the situation.

12. jps

jps Active Member

agreed

Draft saved Draft deleted