1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best way to first reference high schools?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cullen9, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

I'd prefer using the full school name on first reference, but our problem is more than half of our schools have an extend name of some sort. We have a lot of "regional" and "union" here.

"Mike Jones scored three goals for Black Valley Regional High School ..."

or

"John Doe led the Portsmouth Falls Union High School to a 2-1 victory..."

Clunky.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

In our area, there are two schools in Rogers and Springdale, so:

First Reference:

Springdale High
    Springdale Har-Ber
    Rogers High
    Rogers Heritage

Second reference:

Springdale
    Har-Ber
    Rogers
    Heritage

I think spelling out "high school" just takes up too much space, unless it's completely necessary to clarify what you're taking about.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

In Texas, they have a sort of statewide style of going with town name then school. So Memorial would be Port Arthur Memorial or Houston Memorial even though in both cases, the schools are simply "Memorial."

As a result of this style, a lot of people think there's a football powerhouse near Dallas called Southlake Carroll. Really, it's just Carroll High School in Southlake, Texas but because of the naming convention, everybody calls it Southlake Carroll. There's also a Corpus Christi Carroll and no that wasn't named after a 600-year-old English hymn. You've got others like this like Austin Westlake (just Westlake), Odessa Permian (just Permian), Converse Judson (just Judson) and many others. Non-Texans may see those names and think Austin, Odessa and Converse are part of the schools' names.

If it's a school named after the town, you just go with the name. It's Katy High and it's in the same district as Katy Taylor and Katy Cinco Ranch, among other Katy schools.

I always liked that naming convention. It's very clear and once it becomes the norm, the names just roll off the tongue or the keyboard.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Our style was always to use Versailles High School if it weas named after the town or Springsteen High School of Versailles if not.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Moving from Florida from Georgia, it was an adjustment because the naming convention flipped from city before to city after. Thus Live Oak-Suwannee but Westside-Augusta. And I moved to a border town, so we had to switch back and forth.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

This. It also means you can refer to Podunk as PHS on second reference. I'm thinking if you only refer to the school as Podunk on first reference, technically you wouldn't be able to use PHS on second reference because you haven't introduced the HS part initially. Is that correct?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's a good idea to use the word "High School" or "High" on first reference, so as to let the reader know immediately what you are discussing and avoid confusion in a city that might also have a college with the same name. (Podunk High vs. Podunk JC).

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

To me, the use of "high school" on first reference is only necessary if nothing else in the lede identifies the context:

You might say: Joe Smith scored three touchdowns to lead Podunk past Smallsville 35-7 in the State Athletic Association Class 10A bi-district playoffs Friday at Podunk.

But you might say: Joe Smith, a Podunk High graduate, will start as a true freshman for Ohio State after 10 other Buckeye tailbacks were suspended when it was discovered the Bentleys they were driving were purchased for them by boosters.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Our style is to put the city name before the school name on first reference for teams outside of our coverage area, then use the school name from there.
    We just use the school name for our local schools.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I swear, one of the best things about this site is the names you all come up with for your fake schools.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Same.

12. highlander

highlander Member

I think Carroll gained the name Southlake Carroll so it wouldn't be confused with Corpus Christi Carroll. I know when I covered Carroll, we just called them Carroll. But of course that was in the Southlake paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted