1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best way to do the Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Feb 2, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I did the South Rim, and then did Arches, Zion, Bryce Canyon, as well as a few days mountain biking around Moab.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

One of the most spectacular views in America is from a remote outpost on the North Rim known as Toroweep (also spelled Tuweep, Toroweap or Tuweap.) Image Google it. It's challenging to get to, but you'll regret that you don't like camping.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Toroweap is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.
    I've sat on the "overhang" at Toroweap and have never felt so alive and close to death at the same time.
    Great tip, jgmacg.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Felt the same way, fw.

I rarely promote it, because, like the rest of the intermountain west, it's become too crowded. But it's incomparable.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We stayed someplace that sucked, I can't even remember the name of it. But we had dinner at the El Tovar, which I believe is supposed to be nicest old lodge right on the south rim of the canyon (and I mean right on the rim), and the food was surprisingly good. The spice rub on the ribeye was excessive, but it was a very high-quality steak, and there was a roasted red pepper soup that was one of the best soups I've ever had.

I can see why some people might want to spend a week there, but for us two days was more than enough.

I love Flagstaff. We've stayed there a few times. There are certainly nicer, more modern places to stay, but if you want an Old West experience downtown, the Monte Vista is kinda cool:

http://www.hotelmontevista.com/

Although if you like that kind of thing (I do) and you get the chance to stay in Prescott sometime, this is better:

http://www.hassayampainn.com/html/home.html

If you fly into Phoenix, try to eat here even if you just have a burger (not on the dinner menu, but they'll do it if you ask):

http://www.durantsfinefoods.com/index.html

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One suggestion...

Monument Valley -- right on the Arizona/Utah border not far from the four corners area -- is about 10 times cooler than the Grand Canyon. It's a bit of a drive to get there but it's well worth it.

Canyon de Chelly (pronounced Canyon de Shay) is about 70 miles southeast of Monument Valley, and I like it more than the Grand Canyon, too.

The Grand Canyon is beautiful, but honestly, if you're not hiking or camping you may very well have your fill within three hours.

Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly are two of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and absolutely no Americans go to see them. All the tourists are German and French. It's a little dismaying.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Monument Valley is amazing. It looks great when Forrest Gump is running through it in the movie, but it's a whole different experience when you're there.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

south rim, not north. ... and why in the hell not do vegas while you're there?

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'll give a thumbs-up for Canyon de Chelly. But if you go, read up on the culture and history first so you have a better understanding of the area.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'll also recommend the holiday inn at williams, just off the freeway, if you get there late the night before.

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i disagree that you'll be bored after a few hours

we spent three days at the south rim and loved every minute of it and certainly didn't run out of things to do and see ... first day, saw the canyon ... second day, saw the canyon ... third day ... etc. ...

flagstaff is a cool city, but i recommend staying at the south rim. it's worth waking up and seeing the sun rise over that canyon ... life-affirming

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

So is just waking up.

Draft saved Draft deleted