1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best wake up call you ever got

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jun 25, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm sure we've all had those times in our jobs or our lives when someone says something to you that shakes you out of whatever negative pattern you're in and gets you on the right track. Sometimes, it's an editor taking you to the woodshed for doing something wrong. Sometimes, it's someone giving you that shot of confidence when you desperately need it. Sometimes, the person giving you the wake up call is someone you least expected.

I'd like to read your stories. It doesn't have to be in journalism. Hell, if you have more than one story, be my guest.

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I was in my mid-20s, going to college part time when my birthday came up. I look seriously younger than my age (thank you, Mom).

A manager at the place said he heard it was my birthday. I told him how old I was and he was shocked. Said I should show some "initiative," get off my ass and get started on life and get out of warehouse hell. Six months later, I had my first newspaper job.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Two posts in. I woulda guessed one.

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

"Wake up dumbass/dipstick/F-stick/insert insult. I scored us a tee time 'Uber High Class' Country Club. Be there in 30 minutes."

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've got a few of 'em, but I'll go with one in journalism and one that wasn't.

About a year or so ago, I was getting ready to leave my current gig for a gig as a desker somewhere else. On one of my last days, I went to visit the newsroom of the other newspaper in our group to say goodbye to the folks there.

Before they start their staff meeting, the editor of the other paper tells me, "look man, you need to go into writing." He started this whole thing of "you're wasting your talent," "desk work is boring," etc. I responded with, "writers are a dime a dozen." He actually responded, saying "truly exceptional ones aren't." That hit me BIG TIME.

Years and years ago, I was this uncoordinated 16-year-old who sucked at almost every athletic endeavor he tried. Toward the end of a sleepover summer camp, our teams were taking part in these athletic competitions. I entered the one competition I thought I'd have a chance to do decently in. I did all right in that lone competition I competed in, but that's not what I'll remember about it.

This one 13-year-old who was on another team (and I have to add I did not get along with) started talking to me, completely unexpectedly. He told me to at least compete and give it my best. "Don't worry if you're not good, you'll get good." Whether I believed that particular line didn't matter. The fact that this kid took enough interest in me to tell me that -- even though he and I didn't like each other -- made an impression. I may not have done well at athletic competitions since, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

6. lono

lono Active Member

I once applied to a Big Important National Daily Newspaper.

Got a 2-page, hand-written, hate-fuck letter back from the local bureau chief who said I wasn't any good and I'd never amount to anything. It was vicious and mean-spirited, and it may have been the best thing that ever happened to me.

He ultimately got fired.

I've scraped by since then. ;)

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I hit the snooze button about six years ago and have been in a deep sleep ever since.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I was bored!

9. joe

joe Active Member

And there was nothing on the TV, either.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's what I was thinking. Remember the McGriddle?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The one I didn't listen to three years ago when a guy I worked with told me to get out of the business before it was too late.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Goddamnit, shut up! And no, I don't want to go to breakfast because you're hungry and there's nothing else to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted