1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Vietnam War Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Dec 16, 2010.

?

Which is the best Vietnam War movie

1. Deer Hunter

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Full Metal Jacket

20 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. Apocalypse Now

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Platoon

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. The Killing Fields

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. other (please name)

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Cole Hauser's character was always my favorite part of Tigerland.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I was pretty pumped for it, but as soon as I discovered it wasn't Saving Pvt. Ryan, Part 2, I had no desire to see it.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the HBO movie A Bright Shining Lie? I'm finally reading the book and hadn't realized there was a movie on it. Bill Paxton's the star. I want to finish the book before watching the movie.

4. doctorx

doctorx Member

Green Berets, anyone?

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Who could resist the pitch to become a green beret? "Fearless mennnnnnn/who jump and DIE"

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Platoon. It's well done and a believable story.
    I love AN, but the story doesn't totally wash.
    FMJ should have stopped after boot camp. R Lee Ermey carried the movie.

Speaking of which, Boys in Company C needs mention.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Put me down as another one for Platoon. I liked the development of Charlie Sheen's character from "do gooder" to regular grunt.

We Were Soldiers Once was good, but I think the book was much better. Col Moore was also a journalist after the war (or am I making that up?)

8. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Indeed it is.

I voted for FMJ, in part because it's basically two movies. I love the first half more than the second, but the second still has some amazing parts.

Platoon was very good and I wanted to like Deer Hunter more than I did.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Joe Galloway (Barry Pepper in the movie) has been an outstanding military writer/columnist for years.

Not sure if Col. Moore was a journalist but he worked with Galloway on the book and a followup.

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Second the love for the Missing in Action series. Especially the second movie, which was actually a prequel to the first. BRADDOCK!!!! You lose.....

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I went with Full Metal Jacket, especially the first half. Apocalypse Now has more memorable scenes than any movie deserves ("Charlie don't surf!"), but the story itself is one colossal mess. I confess that I haven't seen the extended version.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The 13th Valley by John Del Vecchio is another great Vietnam book. Probably been out of print for years, have no idea what happened to my copy. Worth a look online or at a library.

Draft saved Draft deleted