1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Vietnam War Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Dec 16, 2010.

?

Which is the best Vietnam War movie

1. Deer Hunter

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Full Metal Jacket

20 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. Apocalypse Now

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Platoon

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. The Killing Fields

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. other (please name)

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I like Platoon, and I apologize to no one for that.

I'd pick Deer Hunter here. The russian roulette scene has to make the short list of the most gripping pieces of cinema ever made.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I actually just got Hearts of Darkness on Netflix. Watching it tonight (watched the HBO Bird, Magic doc last night from Netflix). I saw Hearts of Darkness years ago and remember it being tremendous but I'm really looking forward to watching it again.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Tropic Thunder

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You guys are all wrong. It's clear that when you combine technical cinematic brilliance, writing, a fair-and-balanced view of both sides in the conflict and, of course, great acting, the clear winner is ...

Missing In Action, Parts I-Infinity.

I'd probably go with Apocalypse Now as a distant second, but it has to be the extended cut.

Also, does Dead Presidents count? It's basically about Vietnam, its aftermath, etc. Not saying it's as good as some of the others on the list, but I like it.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Tigerland was damn good.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

No love for The Thin Red Line?

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Set in World War 2, wasn't it?

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, calling that would be more of a stretch than the Killing Fields. And not to turn it into a World War 2 film thread, but Thin Red Line just moved a bit too slow for me.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I liked Off Limits with Willem Dafoe and Gregory Hines. Really, I did.

Otherwise the Duvall scenes in Apocalypse Now do it for me. I never get tired of them.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good call on Born on the 4th. Cruise was robbed of an Oscar for that movie. As much as I like Daniel Day-Lewis, Cruise should have won.

Tigerland is a great movie. Colin Farrell would have been a good name to put on the "Actors who you're surprised aren't bigger stars" thread. I've always thought he was great.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

In general, I find movies with 12 different narrators a bit hard to follow.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

MoPic was good.
    I think Apocolypse Now Redux (the longer version) is better and fleshes out the story more.
    Platoon was great and the more I think about it the more I like it. Elias and Barnes represented the duality of war. The brutal nature of it as well as the well-intentioned motives for getting in to one.

Surprised no one has mentioned Hamburger Hill.

Draft saved Draft deleted