1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Vietnam War Movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Dec 16, 2010.

Which is the best Vietnam War movie

1. Deer Hunter

9 vote(s)
  2. Full Metal Jacket

20 vote(s)
  3. Apocalypse Now

10 vote(s)
  4. Platoon

14 vote(s)
  5. The Killing Fields

1 vote(s)
  6. other (please name)

4 vote(s)
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now were on TV last night and Good Morning Vietnam (not an option) has been on recently.

Anyone that names Coming Home should be banned from human contact.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm going off the board with We Were Soldiers Once ...

I always fall asleep watching the Deer Hunter.
  3. shockey

shockey Active Member

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I cannot imagine falling asleep watching The Deer Hunter.

They're all great movies, but Full Metal Jacket holds up best.

Not sure why the hatred for Coming Home. It's not among the best, but it's still a good film.
  5. Mizzougrad96

Does First Blood count?
  6. Mizzougrad96

Agree. I think it's 100X better than Platoon, which is still good.
  7. highlander

highlander Member

I'm going to throw out a little film no one has probably seen "84 Charlie MoPic."
  8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I don't know if Tigerland qualifies, but I've always enjoyed it.

And I'd probably pay 5 bucks to have R. Lee Ermey scream at me for 30 seconds.
  9. I'm going to second Were Were Soldiers Once
  10. I am also going to give an honorable mention to Gardens of Stone
  11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think it's a stretch to call The Killing Fields a Vietnam movie.

My favorite is Apocalypse Now but I don't know that it's the best.

We need Double Down to deliver his rant against Platoon.
  12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The Deer Hunter had the most hilarious "What are the f$#%n' ODDS!?!?!?!" scenes. Just before they get captured, Walken and Savage happen to see their old buddy DeNiro, the leader of the group, randomly on the battlefield in the middle of 'Nam. And after the explosion, only the three of them survive to be taken prisoner! Yay! Friends!!!! Russian Roulette!!!! Escape!!!! Meryl Streep!!!!! Whooooo!

Very well-acted and emotional flick, though. Even the unintentionally hilarious scene when DeNiro goes to get Savage out of the hospital: "No! Mikey, NO! I can't . . . OK, you do as your heart tells ya."

Full Metal Jacket? Like saving Private Ryan, never matches its first 40 minutes or so, and frankly feels rather limp the rest of the way. Some of the dialogue in Full metal jacket (especially the "smack talk" between Joker and Animal Mother - OK, Adam Baldwin) is absolutely cringe-worthy. The narration, too. Felt like it was written by an adolescent. The climactic scenes have some of the worst movie music ever.

The Vietnam scenes in Born on the Fourth of July were excellent, and Tom Cruise was robbed of an Oscar for his performance.

Platoon's characters were interesting (and somewhat fleshed out), and it had a plotline that stayed interesting throughout. I think the Oliver Stone thing gets it a bad rap these days, but it was probably the first Vietnam movie that didn't feel forced.

But for me, Apocalypse Now has the most re-watchability, especially if you also watch Hearts of Darkness, the excellent documentary on its making.
Draft saved Draft deleted