1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best video game of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by king cranium maximus IV, Feb 10, 2008.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

fine pick. a pal of mine hooked the old SNES up at his place last night and invited a bunch of people over for SMB3. even after all these years, even after goldeneye and GTA and halo and goldentee and guitar hero, SMB3 still managed to overwhelm with its possibilities.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

My nintendo still works from time to time, and I played SMB3 a few months back. Still as great as it always was. You can always keep playing it, because you can always beat it in different ways. I'll also give a vote to the original Kirby's adventure, which followed SMB3's lead in the amount of possibilities the game presented.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Zelda: Ocarina of Time blows away any other game ever made.

Others on my short list (and I base this mostly on enjoyment and/or the amount of time I've spent playing them):
    Tecmo Super Bowl
    NCAA Football 2003
    Goldeneye
    Super Mario 3
    Any of Mega Man 2-5, particularly 3
    Bases Loaded
    Perfect Dark

I'm missing many others, I know, but those are what I can come up with right now. But the best is, without doubt, Ocarina of Time. Even now, if I could erase that game from my memory and play it fresh, I'd choose it over anything that's been made since.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What does "common era" mean? Before steroids?

Anyhoo....Arkanoid is my favorite by a mile. Super Mario World was pretty cool, too.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

why 3, specifically?

i've always wondered this. there are a lot of people who generally prefer 3 to 2. the rush add-ons were sweet, but aside from that, i'm a 2 man through and through. the music has appealed to me more, the bosses seemed more sinister, and the ultimate boss was pretty damn creepy when i was 10.

which is not to say 3 isn't a great game- it is. maybe it's because i was introduced first, and at a fairly impressionable age.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

My favorites from every system I've played since the late 1970s:

COIN:
    Galaga (We called it the Pizza Hut game because it seemed to be the law that every PH must have a Galaga machine)
    World Series: The Season (If I could get back all the quarters I pumped into the machine at the student union between classes ...)
    Tempest
    Gyruss
    Super Punch Out (Bear Hugger, Dragon Chan, Vodka Drunkenski, Great Tiger ... and oh, the sense of accomplishment in beating Super Macho Man for the first time)

ATARI 2600:
    (By the way, I still have mine. Still works.)

Megamania (The commercials in the '80s promised it would be addictive. A more honest ad you will not find.)
    Video Pinball
    Yars' Revenge
    Atlantis
    Missile Command

(Pretty much started playing sports games exclusively in the mid-1990s ...)

NINTENDO/SNES:
    Wolfenstein 3-D
    NBA Live
    Hardball III (MLB baseball)
    Tecmo Super Bowl
    NHL '94

PLAYSTATION/PS2:
    NCAA Football
    Hardball 99
    Triple Play 98

PC:
    High Heat Baseball (Best sports simulation game ever. Not even close.)

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In order ...

Spy Hunter
    Street Fighter 2
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Tecmo Bowl (the Saints got screwed on team speed ... )
    Mike Tyson's Punch Out

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Goldeneye -- lost two scholarships and $17,000 because of this game. No, really.
    Resident Evil -- it was like playing a movie. A really creepy movie.
    NHL '94 -- learned how to drink while playing this game. We'd steal a bottle of Jack Daniels from my friend's parents and play tournaments for hours.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I was just about to type that in.,

Good call Wick

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Looks like there's not a lot of love for the Madden series.

Of course, NCAA and Madden were essentially the same game, except for the players.

I definitely prefer NCAA as my 8-year dynasty with Navy, Colorado State and Virginia Tech will attest.

I think I've made it through one season of Madden. I don't think I ever paid full price for a Madden game, always waited for the price to drop before getting it.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Best arcade game ever. I can still get 100K at the drop of a quarter.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Early training for your destiny of not having a life.

Draft saved Draft deleted