1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best video game of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by king cranium maximus IV, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG]

2. Good point. GTA:3 should make the list.
    The thing is, it's hard to judge these games because new techology is naturally going to make newer games look better, more in-depth, etc.
    So I focus heavily on influence and how much it blew away the competition at the time.
    Ocarina was, by far, the most engaging game I had ever played. It was a true epic in an era where people didn't do epics.
    Goldeneye showed that first-person shooters could be successful on platforms and it had the most fun single-person storyline of any FPS I have played (even to today). Without it, you don't have games like Halo.
    Tecmo Super Bowl helped create the football game revolution. No Tecmo, no Madden or College Football.
    God of War is simply an amazing adventure game that combines the fun of hacking and slashing with great puzzles and may do the best job of maximizing the system's potential (graphics, sound, etc.) of any game I've ever played.
    GTA:3 is another game that was so far ahead of everything else at the time, it isn't even funny.

3. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I agree with these three:

Tecmo Super Bowl
    Golden Eye
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time

4. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Combat never gets old, and that's coming from someone who barely knew Atari growing up (Nintendo was taking over by the time I started playing VGs).

My pick:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

LJB: Venture and Zaxxon are a great, great call.

Old school: Pitfall, RBI Baseball.

Nowadays? Goldeneye 007 for N64 is still awesome, 10 years after it came out. Proximity mines...mmmm....

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Corky, I loved Venture. Played it until my fingers hurt.

[​IMG]

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also some votes for:

Zelda: A Link to the Past for Super NES

Sports: NHL '95 (first one with player movement through trades and free agents, player creation, and better graphics and game play than '94, which was the first one without fights)

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'll echo the votes for Super Tecmo and RBI.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I did love Super Breakout on the Atari. I still have that thing somewhere.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No love for "E.T." for the Atari 2600?

Seriously, without the original Super Mario Bros. the video game industry as we know it wouldn't exist today. It was such a deep, great game that you could probably pick it up today, 20 years later, and not be bored with it. And as good as that was, SMB 3 was even better -- longer, more depth, more things to use and do. So I'd go with SMB 3 as the best ever, overall.

"Ocarina of Time" was a great game, but the difficulty was off the charts. That takes it down a notch in my book. A great game is challenging, but you should be able to figure out the puzzles without running to the internet for help. That's why "Street Fighter 2" will always be a better fighting game than "Mortal Kombat".

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Great calls. I was playing SMB on one of the NES simulators recently and it was like no time at all had passed.

Draft saved Draft deleted