1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Van Halen Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Mar 2, 2019.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

It's not Gary Cherone's fault he was tapped to fill the role that should have gone to Sebastian Bach. That said, VH III is the Caddyshack II of albums.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly, it is D.O.A

C'mon, they found a dirty-faced kid in a garbage can!

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Dreams or maybe the long version of Pretty Woman

The biggest problem for many VH songs is how awful DLR was as a lyricist. Took EVH’s often brilliant music and slapped gibberish on it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I consider Van Halen with Roth and Van Halen with Hagar as two different bands. Both very good in their own right, but different.

exmediahack likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the recent spate of comments by Hagar about Anthony's possible return to VH for the tour, he's been fairly conciliatory. I've also seen quotes attributed to DLR on the topics of Hagar's songs (which he's previously trashed) which essentially consist of "not the kind of songs I would do, but not bad" -- so I kinda smell a glorious "everybody on board" "Sam and Dave" combined tour.

Seriously, most recent assessments of DLR seem to amount to, "he doesn't have the voice strength or stamina to carry on for two hours like in the olden days," why not bring in Hagar to do a dozen or so songs, give Dave a few 10-minute breaks?

I suspect the prospective return of Anthony could work the same way with Daddy Ed -- Wolfie could step up for a few songs while Ed goes off for a Diet 7Up or something.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not without looking, thanks ...

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

At the VH concert I attended in 1988 (at a very young age of course), the band refused to play Jump because some asshole climbed up to the top of the stadium.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

TF got this one right. Ain't Talking Bout Love is awesome. I think it and Panama would be my two VH favorites. I'd also put in a word for this personal favorite, I think the first minute of Unchained is my favorite VH minute.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I would go for sure.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’ll believe it when it actually happens, not a moment before.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

"Panama" is a great road trip song.

DLR was a trashy, flashy creature of his time. He was fun to watch, but you had to look elsewhere for greatness.

Draft saved Draft deleted