1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best use of a song or music in a single episode in TV history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Jan 20, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Song associated with a show?

Dukes of Hazzard

Forever attached to a show?

Don't Stop Believing

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I associate "It was a very good year" with the Sopranos. Played while the leaves were swirling around Tony's pool at the start of one episode.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

War's Why Can't We Be Friends, which was Homer Simpson's walk-up music in the boxing episode. Pissed my pants.

In the dramatic category, I'll go with The Association's Windy for the opening of Breaking Bad's Half-Measures episode.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Family Ties where Tracy Pollan leaves.. Billy and the Beaters -- if I could Hold You Again...

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

"In the Air Tonight" in the "Miami Vice" pilot

"Superman" march in the "Smallville" finale

"Carry On My Wayward Son" in each season finale of "Supernatural"

I don't know about best, but they sure give me goosebumps when I watch those shows. Love 'em.

6. Great Family Ties pull Slappy. Fact he ended upsetting her in real life only kind of adds to it.
    Couple that stand out to me: the Hawaiian version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in the Lost pilot. Al Jarreauband David Sanborn doing a cover of "Since I fell For You" in the Moonlighting where David finally gives in and goes to Maddy's house to make a move. Knocks on the door in the rain and Sam (Mark Harmon) answers it. Door closes. Rain falls. 80s saxophone plays.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Man Card is in the mail, but I think this Grey's aired after a Super Bowl so maybe...

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That is a good one, too. I will also associate "Chicken Town" with the Sopranos after being used during the closing credits. Another one, and I don't even know if this is the name of the song, but "Smackin' That Ass" was played during a scene with some girls when Chris got made. Every time I hear that I think of the episode.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I hate Styx with a white-hot supernova hatred, but Freaks and Geeks' use of "Come Sail Away" at the end of the pilot was well-done, with Lindsay walking out onto the dance floor with Eli just as the song picks up.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Oooh, that's a good call...

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Simpsons edition: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mim4_the-simpsons-a-homer-and-a-gentlema_shortfilms#.UP1piYnjnS4

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This was my first thought when I saw this thread... I know the show has become a joke, but that was one of those instances where that song went from something nobody had heard before to a huge hit and it fit perfectly with the show...

The other one was one of the earlier seasons of ER when the head of the hospital had I think Noah Wyle taking care of his dying kid and they played "Time of Your life" when he died...

I remember watching that and having to leave the room because I was going to lose my shit...

Draft saved Draft deleted