1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best use of a song or music in a single episode in TV history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Damn good call. I remember that scene well.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Scrubs kicks ass in this category. There are so many scenes where they nailed the musical choice. Both happy and sad. Aside from the ones already mentioned, another that just popped in my head on the sad side was this scene:

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There was an episode of "Homicide" in which a biker essentially agreed to be killed in order to save his family. I think the Pretenders' "I'll Stand by You" was playing as the detectives did the crime scene as the show ended. Very moving.

"Californication" has some great music too. The Warren Zevon song (can't remember the name) playing in the final scene i season 3 or 4, when Hank and his daughter are on the beach as his wife flies off to New York, was outstanding.

And all of the music in Ken Burns' "The Civil War" was epic.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Season 2 of Californication, Hank's letter to Karen, when the show still meant something.

Pearl Jam:

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Clutch, Regulators, from the barn-burning episode of Walking Dead.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My first thought.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cold Case had numerous nice uses of period music. A great instance of a musical instance repeated several times was With or Without You as the leitmotif for Ross-Rachel breakups on Friends.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I can't hear "Don't Stop Believin'" and not associate it with the final few minutes of the entire run of The Sopranos.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Seinfeld retrospective with Green Day's "Time of Your Life"

10. My first thought was the final scene of "Soprano Home Movies" when Bobby is holding his daughter while looking out over the lake after killing the dude and This Magic Moment is playing. Always stuck with me.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

How To Save A Life
    Season 2
    Grey's Anatomy

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Body of an American. For Christ's sake, Hugh, play the fucking song already!

Draft saved Draft deleted