1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best TV resumés

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Jul 8, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Depending on how you feel about Girls, Judd Apatow might win this. He was the co-creator of The Ben Stiller Show, a writer and producer on The Larry Sanders Show, he was the executive producer of Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared, he appeared on News Radio (as an actor), he wrote an episode of The Simpsons (written years ago, will be made this year), and is the executive producer on Girls.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't think being part of a great show that only lasted a season is a knock on the creative people involved, so I wouldn't dock Grammar points for Boss (going by what I've heard, I haven't seen it). Paul Feig and Judd Apatow still get big resume points for Freaks and Geeks.

Speaking of which, Paul Feig and Judd Apatow.

Feig created Freaks and Geeks and has directed several episodes of Arrested Development, The Office, 30 Rock, Mad Men and Parks and Rec.

Apatow has Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, The Ben Stiller Show, Larry Sanders, The Critic and Girls on his TV resume as a writer and producer.

ETA: H.L beat me to it. I'm not a fan of Girls, but it resonates with some people so I'll give he and Dunham credit for that.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does Feig lose points for acting on Facts of Life?

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And Sabrina the Teenage Witch? I don't think anybody is going to claim he's had a stellar acting career, but Freaks and Geeks is about as close to a perfect season of TV as I've seen.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Nah. You take the good, you take the bad.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's better than Studio 60 was. I wanted to like that show. I loved Sports Night and The West Wing. I watched every episode of Studio 60, but I didn't miss it one bit when they cancelled the show.

7. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Dick Wolf owns the crime genre.

Starting with 39 episodes as co-producer or co-executive producer of Miami Vice, leading to executive producer of the Dragnet re-make starring Ed O'Neill, New York Undercover, Arrest & Trial, over 1000 total episodes of his six different Law & Order TV series, Conviction, Chicago Fire and new this fall, Chicago PD.

8. Mizzougrad96

Freaks and Geeks and My So Called Life are probably widely viewed as two of the best shows ever to be canceled after the first season.

I liked My So Called Life, but Freaks and Geeks was just brilliant.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Speaking of which...gotta give some credit to a dude who only does one thing, but does it extremely well...

[​IMG]

10. Mizzougrad96

I saw Belzer doing standup when I was in high school.

He was hilarious, but if you had told me then that he would be on network TV for 20 years straight I would have said you were high.

Then again, I would have assumed you were on smack if you had suggested 20 years ago that the guy who wrote "Cop Killer" would make a career of playing a cop as well...

Gotta love Dick Wolf.

11. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

I'm pretty sure Richard Belzer holds the record of playing the same character on 9 different TV shows. It jumps to ten if you consider the made for TV movie Homicide:The Movie as a separate TV show. Belzer played Det. John Munch on Homicide: Life on the Street, The X-Files, Law & Order, The Beat, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, Arrested Development, The Wire, 30 Rock and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did somebody list Charlie Sheen?
    The guy had one hit TV show, which was also terrible despite its popularity.

Draft saved Draft deleted