1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best TV resumés

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yes, another TV thread, but I was reading Alan Sepinwall's book and thinking about the RIP Gandolfini thread and thought it might be interesting. Who out there -- actors, writers, producers, etc. -- have the greatest bodies of work in television? How does one great role or show weigh against multiple solid ones?

Tossing out a few names to get it started: Steven Bochco. He developed Hill Street Blues, LA Law, Doogie Howser and NYPD Blue, among others. He also hired David Milch, which eventually resulted in is seeing Deadwood, Luck, etc. Speaking of Deadwood, Timothy Olyphant already had leading roles in Deadwood and Justified and it young enough there could be more ahead for him.

Obviously you can go back decades and talk about Carl Reiner, Mary Tyler Moore, Norman Lear and many, many others. Who else ya got?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll watch pretty much anything Graham Yost is involved in.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Peter Krause has the lead role in three of my 25-or-so favorite TV shows ever, though he's not my favorite actor in any of them.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'll take Bob Newhart and give you the field.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jack Klugman - Odd Couple, Quincy
    Tom Selleck - Magnum PI, Closer, Friends, Blue Bloods
    Ted Danson - Cheers, CSI, Becker, Damages
    James Garner - Rockford Files, Maverick
    Harry Morgan - MASH, Dragnet

I honestly cannot think of any females for this list.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Danson deserves credit for Curb Your Enthusiasm if Selleck gets credit for Friends.

7. Jake_Taylor

I haven't seen him on CSI and Becker was mediocre, but Cheers, Curb and Damages make a nice list. One of the best scripted comedies ever, great semi-scripted/improve work and a fantastic dramatic turn.

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Bob Odenkirk - writer for SNL during the late 80s/early 90s (wrote the "Van Down by the River" skit), The Ben Stiller Show, The Larry Sanders Show, Mr. Show, Breaking Bad

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jeffery Tambor - Arrested Development and The Larry Sanders Show

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Two supporting roles before the 10th post. I didn't think we'd sink so low so quickly.

11. Jake_Taylor

Anthony and Joe Russo may be the best at directing TV comedies, particularly coming in early and setting a tone visually and with pacing. They got started on Lucky, which was short-lived, but a show that helped establish what FX is doing now. Since then they've worked on Arrested Development, Happy Endings, Community and others.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

James Burrows wins this category without question. Shows he directed: Cheers, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Taxi, NewsRadio, Friends, The Bob Newhart Show, Wings, Frasier, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Dear John, Laverne & Shirley, Will & Grace, The Big Bang Theory, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted