1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best TV/movie cameos by athletes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 27, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

As the flip-side of Pete Incaviglia's thread, would the winner in best cameo go to Kevin McHale's spot on Cheers?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

McHale had two great spots on Cheers. The one where he played for Sam's basketball team against Gary's Olde Towne Tavern, and the one where he was counting the bolts on the parquet floor.

One of my favorite athlete cameos is when Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played a substitute teacher on Different Strokes. At one point, Kareem takes a note away from Arnold, crumples it up, and tries to shoot it into the garbage can, but misses. It got the biggest laugh from the studio audience in the entire show.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Buck Showalter on Seinfeld.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Worst was Hank Aaron on Happy Days. Was treated as a 1950s baseball star tho he clearly was in his mid 40s. Almost as absurd as the ep in which Al joined a Freedom Riders bus ride to the segregated South.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That was a good Kareem cameo, but I think he had a better one: as pilot Roger Murdock in "Airplane!"

Joey: Wait a minute. I know you. You're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Roger Murdock: I'm sorry son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I'm the co-pilot.

Joey: You are Kareem. I've seen you play. My dad's got season tickets.

Roger Murdock: I think you should go back to your seat now Joey. Right Clarence?

Captain Oveur: Nahhhhhh, he's not bothering anyone, let him stay here.

Roger Murdock: But just remember, my name is ROGER MURDOCK. I'm an airline pilot.

Joey: I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense. And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.

Roger Murdock: The hell I don't. LISTEN KID. I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

6. Wade Boggs on Cheers.
    Keith Hernandez on Seinfeld

Draft saved Draft deleted