1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best time to apply?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxramblings07, Jun 18, 2007.

1. I graduate from college in May with nearly five years under my belt at a 40,000-daily. What I constantly wonder about though is when to start sending out applications. I don't know if I should start after the fall semester is over, start sooner or just wait until I'm a month or two out from graduating.

Any help or advice?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The sooner, the better. If they really want you, they'll wait till graduation.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And if it's the right opportunity, you might not even wait until graduation. I know a few people who didn't finish their last semester to take a job. All are doing well for themselves. Some finished their credits taking night classes just to get the degree on their resumes.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I must say, I would stay at the 40,000 circ. How many jobs available are better than that? I know all college kids want to work at metros and cover pro beats, but how often do those jobs open anymore.

There is so much talent out there with all these cutbacks. There are eventually going to be some pretty talented people taking some jobs you would have never believed they would be interested in.

5. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I just did the whole graduation job hunt adventure... I'd say the sooner, the better...

But don't get down on yourself if those early apps don't get a ton of feedback...

I started applying in October with a may graduation date and most places just ignored me... the few who responded said they liked my stuff but were looking to fill the position sooner than i was available...

but I kept plugging away and then, just as graduation started to roll around, those packets started paying off and the phone started to ring...

it can't hurt to get your name out there early.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Completely agree with In Cold Blood. The best thing to do in this business is to get people saying your name. Send the resumes early and call back (or email rather) after graduation.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

january.

Draft saved Draft deleted