1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best throwback jerseys -- football (college or pro) division

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Re: Best throwback jerseys -- football division

I noticed that, too, especially after the Vikings wore throwback for that game against Green Bay last year in the Metrodome. The old is easily better than the new.

Then again, the same could be said for the Bills. The previous wave of unis were better for them, as well.

The Bengals' unis from a few years back were much better. Bigger numbers, less playing around with materials while still keeping the Tiger stripes throughout. The Cardinals' new uniforms weren't disasterous, but leaving them along might have been a better move.

About the only new uniforms I really like are Tampa's. The creamsicle unis were both horrific and sources for too many punchlines.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Glazers actually put the creamsicles, or some of them, anyway, in a big old pirate chest and sunk it to the bottom of the bay. And they have said those uniforms will never, ever be worn again, under any circumstances. We'll see in 2020.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Certainly not these ...

[​IMG]

or these:

[​IMG]

or these:

[​IMG]

Chargers powder blues with white helmets, all the way:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Word had it that some of the key players on the defense that help the Bucs win the Lombardi Trophy asked about wearing those once or twice. Same word said the request was shot down.

People can say what they want about the Glazers but, after Hugh Culverhouse and his years of pocketing money and putting a crummy product on the field, I gotta side with the Glazers on this one.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The Eagles chose that name (and their blue-and-gold color scheme ... although I've also heard it has to do with Philly's city flag) because it was the color scheme of FDR's National Recovery Administration (his Depression-era program of wage & price controls that was later declared unconstitutional). The logo for the NRA was the blue eagle. It was one of the most visible & aggressive New Deal programs in 1933.

Dunno when they switched from blue-and-gold to green-and-white.

6. Steak Snabler

Historically significant or not, those unis still look like a pile o' puke ...

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think the Raiders had an old school logo on their helmet too, No? The shield was white instead of black. From like the early-mid 60s. Unis basically were the same.

8. Steak Snabler

Yes.

[​IMG]

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

[​IMG]

No one that has read any of this fan's 300-some-odd posts would expect anything less than me posting the image above.

Pure beauty.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Memories of days when you used to have really good eye-sight?

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I do wish the Houston franchise would've been able to resurrect the name "Oilers" and go back to their unis/logos.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted