1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best throwback jerseys -- baseball division

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 15, 2008.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

That looks like County Stadium in the background, but given it's a dark uniform, it's probably not.

It seems White Sox changed uniforms & logos (& sometimes colors) on an almost annual basis until about 1990.

I'm with Oz. I loved those powder-blue Expos uniforms with the red & blue stripes going down the sides. Our local minor-league baseball team (which was an Expos farm club for 9 years) used a similar design, and they looked pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Reggie says "hi"

[​IMG]

I'm kind of partial to this one, with the halo stitched into the top ...

[​IMG]

Not to mention long sleeves and short pants. The pants look like the cutoff khakis favored by frat boys in my college days ...

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I really like that. They should bring that back.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

[​IMG]
    The all-caps, huge font on the road unis was for the 1975 season only, I think. This toned-down version was the one the Rangers stuck with for a while. The serifed font on the player name is a nice touch...ripped off from the Dallas Cowboys. Rangers don't use a serifed font on the name plates any more; Cowboys still do. A weird footnote is the sleeve logo...that was never the primary logo. Teams didn't have secondary logos back then, generally...strange.

[​IMG]
    The sadly underrated Al Oliver. By 1980 or so, Texas had changed the name font from red serifed to a dull sans-serif blue.

[​IMG]
    Best Rangers gear was the red-themed from the mid/late 1990s. Only division titles in club history occurred during the "red" years.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Those Jays throwbacks look fine from the front, but they have/had one inexcusable touch on the back — soccer numbers:

[​IMG]

Bleech ...

I will say this, though. The team shop in Skydome/Rogers Centre is a cool place. It's one of the few I've found where you can buy game-worn jerseys. You won't find the stars like Joe Carter or Roberto Alomar, but if you've got $100 Canadian to drop, you can pick up a Duane Ward or a Manuel Lee.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I love how random some of those baseball card pictures are...Dave Stieb no-hits Indians! Here's the back of his jersey in a press chat that may or may not have been after that game!

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I'm going to call the DFW papers to see if they have a photo of those that no one has found. The color you show on those Oliver-era unis are accurate, but this was a "Texas" design that was different, and one they got rid of almost immediately. Where's T.R. Sullivan on this one?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Those blue jerseys were the Rangers' road jerseys from 1976 to 1980. In 1981-82, the Rangers used a button-up version of the same uniform.

[​IMG]

In 1983, the Rangers switched to this set:

[​IMG]

... which they followed with this in 1984-85:

[​IMG]

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Always liked the ChiSox '17 WS unis.

An aside: The current administration understands karma. Virtually the entire
    contenders-every-year run the franchise went through ('51-'67) was with the
    classic b&w pinstripes they use, today. When they wandered away from that with the blue, then red (think Rich Allen), then Veeck's stupifying shorts, etc., etc., they'd entered their second sustained hellish streak (barring the all-too-brief '77 South Side Hitmen flurry). Stay with the classics, gentlemen.

10. Armchair_QB

Is this the jersey you're thinking of?

[​IMG]

It's from a 1976 card so it was probably worn in 75.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That was the '75 road jersey, replaced in 1976 with the powder-blue jerseys I posted above. Rangers made the change so the home and road jerseys would look related to each other.

12. Armchair_QB

Is that the screwed up font that somebody was asking about earlier?

Draft saved Draft deleted