1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best teams to never win a championship (last 50 years)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

With the other thread going, I figured this would be a good one - best teams since 1962 to never win a title. Here are a few to get started with.

1. 2007 Patriots
    2. 1998 Vikings
    3. 2001 Mariners
    4. 1996 Red Wings

2. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

1995 Indians went 100-44 and lost to Atlanta in the World Series. And that team had a stacked lineup:

LF: Belle
    CF: Lofton
    RF: Ramirez
    3B: Thome
    SS: Vizquel
    2B: Baerga
    1B: Sorrento (meh)
    DH: Murray
    C: Alomar/Pena

There haven't been any better since.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1990 Bills: One field goal away.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Expos in '81, Late - 80s Pirates, mid-80s Brewers, 70s Vikings, 80s Chargers, 80s Browns, 90s Bills (they picked a REALLY bad time to be REALLY good), and the 90s Chiefs.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, are we talking one season or core group of players? I went with core group of players.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

not sure I'd include the 96 Wings on a list of best teams to never win a championship since they did win it all the next year (I've seen this list done before and include that Wings team plus the '69 Orioles, '68 Cardinals and '90 A's and '90 49ers who all won titles either right before or right after with the same group of guys)

That being said, my nominations. . . .

2002 Sacramento Kings
    2004 Indiana Pacers (throw in the 04-05 team as well. but for the brawl and Tayshaun Prince's blocked shot they could have won back-to-back)
    1991 Pittsburgh Pirates
    2009 San Jose Sharks

If you want to delve into the college ranks you have Marcus Camby's UMass team and the '86 Dukies with Danny Ferry

7. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

if you go marcus camby's umass, then i raise you a ralph sampson's UVA...

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Agreed (sadly)

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

yeah, the 116-win mariners pretty much take the cake.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The 1994 Expos.

But if we go season:
    The 85-86 Oilers, 119 point season coming off back-to0back stanley cups, knocked out the second round by the Godless Calgary Flames.
    Or the 1995-96 Red Wings coming off a Stanley Cup the year before they earned 131 points in the regular season but lost in the conference finals to the Colorado Avalanche.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bud Grant's Vikings were pretty dang good, too.

12. workerB12

workerB12 Member

Just as a sport you'd have to say college basketball presents the most of these cases just because their postseason is so random.

Draft saved Draft deleted