1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best. Tabloid. Front. Ever.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, May 14, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The New York Post should shut down and all its employees laid off because I don't like the owner's politics!

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's hardly what I said.

Murdoch keeps the Post alive because it plays a role in his overall media strategy - part of which is undeniably conservative political theater - as do the WSJ and Fox News, etc.

I'm asking how it's possible that the Post, which everyone everywhere asserts is so popular (and populist) continues to lose scores of millions of dollars ever year.

(PS - I don't think Mr. Murdoch is himself an ideologue. He hires ideologues where necessary, like Roger Ailes, to run things. )

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But clearly what you want.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nope.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

We have a new honorable mention recipient.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This one from 1989 is still a Top 5 (or Top 10) candidate:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Again, another front with the Mets winning. What is it with you people.... :D

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

and "Head had AIDS" gets top billing over the '89 title game?

9. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

Off-topic, I admit.

Does anyone know where this style of commenting came from, or what perpetuates it: "Best. Tabloid. Front. Ever."

Is this a reference to some line in a movie or something else in popular culture? Why wouldn't one write, "Best tabloid front ever"?

10. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Two words: Literary. Effect. :D

11. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I remember seeing it for the first time in a college newspaper in 1987, so it's certainly been around for a while, but it really seems to have become part of the hack writer's toolbox in the past couple of years.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I agree. Very similar in annoyance to the overused trope where someone introduces something unexpected by turning a declarative statement into a question, e.g., General Petraeus banging his biographer? General Petraeus banging his biographer."

Deadspin seems to use that format in a headline quite a bit. It used to be a funny way to introduce a shocking story, but now it just comes across as lazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted